Celebrating 90 golden years of Mickey & Minnie Mouse!
“I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it all started with a mouse”
– Walt Disney
Our favourite cartoons always give us a rush of nostalgia. Nothing can make us happier than our all-time onscreen cartoon friends, especially those we have grown up watching, like our very own Mickey and Minnie mouse!(age, no bar)
This year on November 18th, your favourite mouse pair is turning sweet 90!
So, while you are preparing to celebrate their birthdays in front of your TV with some popcorn and juice, here are some lesser known fun facts about Mickey and Minnie Mouse that will definitely make this day even more memorable!
Did you Know?
- Mickey Mouse was born on 18th November, 1928, when he starred in the groundbreaking 8-minute cartoon, ‘Steamboat Willie’. coincidentally, his long-time companion Minnie Mouse also made her screen debut with the same movie although they had appeared several months earlier in another short film called ‘Place Crazy’!
- They were first drawn by Ub Iwerks in 1928. In many comics, Minnie Mouse has been portrayed as the girlfriend of Mickey Mouse, a close friend of Daisy Duck, and a friend to Clarabelle Cow.
- Ironically, both Mickey and Minnie mouse loves pets! Mickey Mouse has a pet dog called Pluto and Minnie Mouse also has two beautiful pets – a dog called Fifi and a sweet little cat called Figaro.
- Mickey Mouse was the first cartoon character to ever speak out loud. And guess what his first words were -? ‘Hot Dogs!’
- It was Walt Disney’s wife who suggested the name Mickey. Otherwise, Mickey would have been Mortimer Mouse. (Imagine!) The name Mortimer later went to Mickey’s arch-rival.
- Poor Mickey was only given 4 fingers because Walt Disney wanted to save time & money. A 6.5 minute short film needed around 45,000 drawings. In total, that comes to a lotttt of fingers not being drawn.
- Until 1946, Walt Disney provided the original voices for both Mickey and Minnie but later on; he got too busy with the Disney studio production and handed over the role to the veteran actor Jimmy Macdonald. Although the voices changed, but the swag remained constant!
- The couple who later took over the voice roles of Mickey and Minnie Mouse were Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor. Interestingly, they fell in love on the sets and tied the knot in 1991. (AWWW)
- January 22nd, ‘The National Polka Dot’ day is dedicated to celebrate Disney’s most esteemed fashionista — Minnie Mouse
- On his 50th anniversary, in 1978, Mickey Mouse became the first cartoon character to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, under the Motion Pictures Category. This year, as her 90th birthday present, Minnie Mouse was honoured with the Hollywood Walk of Fame star.
So next time when you step into Disneyland or Walt Disney World, look out for the hidden Mickeys. Apparently, they are hidden all over the theme parks!!
Thanks to Walt Disney’s creation of Mickey & Minnie Mouse, we all had a wonderful childhood, filled with fun!
Here’s a short chip of the advantures of Mickey & Minnie Mouse!
Books are Tanaya Goswami’s first love and cheesecakes come a close second. Talking about movies, music, calligraphy, politics, and Elon Musk will get you listed under the friends’ section of her diary. Ever since moving on from her job as an English lecturer, she spends her time at BYJU’S crafting stories filled with emotion and sprinkled with sarcasm. Outside of work, she’s either learning something new (French, most recently!) or is curled up with a book and a cup of coffee. She firmly believes that discovering what you don’t know is the key to knowledge and is constantly working towards improving herself.
Drop in a line at firstname.lastname@example.org if you liked her stories, have something nice to say, or if you have compelling ideas to share!
Share This Post
Get a call from BYJU’S experts to understand how BYJU’S Learning Programs can help you learn better and score higher
- How did BYJU’S Help Varun Top ICSE Board Exams
- Watch electromagnetic force come alive with this DIY!
- What Every Parent Ought To Know About Fine Motor Skills
- Why You Shouldn’t Give Cats Milk – The Science of Lactose Intolerance
- Can you really detect if someone is lying? The science behind lie detectors