Turn your childhood dream of flying into a booming career!
Is Aviation your Ambition?
An aviator or an aircraft pilot is a person who controls the flight of an aircraft by operating its directional flight controls.
Flying across the world and controlling some of the most sophisticated aircrafts, for many, is a dream job. In addition to this, the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures, combined with a rewarding lifestyle definitely make it an exciting career choice.
According to research by aerospace giant Boeing, the world will need an additional 637,000 qualified pilots by 2036. As people across the globe continue to fall in love with travel, demand is skyrocketing – especially in expanding markets such as Asia-Pacific, making this a fine career option. For those of you considering a future with wings, here are a few insights to help you get started on this journey.
What kind of aircrafts can you fly?
As a pilot, you can fly commercial aircrafts, helicopters, rescue planes, cargo and jet planes. But remember, the pivotal role of a pilot is much more than just flying the plane.
As a pilot…
- You need to be highly trained to take responsibility of flying an aircraft full of passengers under all weather conditions.
- Interpret the data presented to you on instruments and controls
- You should have a keen eye for detailed checks before take-off and maintain contact with air traffic controls and cabin crew throughout the flight.
- You must plan out a route in advance and study the weather along with your co-pilot.
- You need to ensure that the fuel is safely loaded and you are conforming to the regulations at all times.
- Most importantly, you need to ensure safety of the aircraft, passengers and crew on board.
Before you consider embarking on any pilot training and earn an Airline Transport Pilot’s License, here are few things you must know:
What are the requirements?
- In order to apply for a pilot training licence, you must undergo a medical test that meets the requirements set by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)
- The security clearance and a bank guarantee are a must in order to be an eligible candidate.
- In case your dream role is to become an Air Force pilot, you must maintain good health as per the benchmarks set by the defence.
- Good IQ, quick problem solving capabilities as well as good communication skills are bonus points to help you climb up the ladder.
Pilot courses are offered by different flying schools around the world. In fact, India is the biggest hub for flying aspirants with numerous colleges offering courses in aviation. Make sure you do your research well while selecting an institution. In India, your course needs to be affiliated to DGCA.
Here are some recognized institutions in India that offers pilot training courses:
- Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi (IGRUA), Rae Bareli
- National Flying Training Academy(NFTA), Maharashtra
- Madhya Pradesh Flying Club(MPFC), Bhopal, MP
- Ahmedabad Aviation and Aeronautics Limited (AAA), Gujarat
- Bombay Flying Club, Mumbai
- Assam Flying Club, Guwahati Airport, Guwahati
- School of Aviation Science and Technology, Delhi Flying Club Ltd, New Delhi
Once you obtain the necessary education and fulfil all the requirements, you can apply for a pilot’s license. There are three types of license you can earn according to your requirement.
At present, there is an emerging requirement in the airline industry for qualified individuals. The best part is the variety of choice that is available – you can choose to become a corporate pilot (flying only company airplanes), agriculture pilot (for crop dusting) or become a full time commercial pilot. Some of the top commercial recruiters are:
AirAsia, Air India, Jet Airways, Air Costa, SpiceJet, IndiGo, Lufthansa, National Aviation Company of India and many more. So, get set and start the preparations for your dream job!
Pro tips: The first step towards this dream job is to perform well in your 12th board exams. BYJU’S-The Learning App has programs designed to prepare students in an easy and fun manner. With adaptive and engaging videos, sample test papers for each concept and personalised feedback, BYJU’S visual learning methods will give you the necessary boost to prepare for your exams.
Give wings to your dreams with BYJU’S The Learning App!
Now, you can get a free counselling session with BYJU’S experts at your home to help guide you better.
Click here to book now!
Books are Tanaya Goswami’s first love and cheesecakes come a close second. Talking about movies, music, calligraphy, politics, and Elon Musk will get you listed under the friends’ section of her diary. Ever since moving on from her job as an English lecturer, she spends her time at BYJU’S crafting stories filled with emotion and sprinkled with sarcasm. Outside of work, she’s either learning something new (French, most recently!) or is curled up with a book and a cup of coffee. She firmly believes that discovering what you don’t know is the key to knowledge and is constantly working towards improving herself.
Drop in a line at email@example.com if you liked her stories, have something nice to say, or if you have compelling ideas to share!