LAST UPDATED MAY 19, 2022
- BYJU’S Future School
- Disney BYJU’s Early Learn
- OSMO Apps
Information We Collect
Information You Provide when Ordering LearnStation
Your Child’s Information
- When you order the BYJU’s Learning Experience through the Services you may provide information about one or more children (“Child Information”), such as:
- IP address
- This Child Information is the only information collected by the LearnStation and LearnOS about your child. This Child Information may be used by the LearnStation operating system to configure LearnStation, apply over the air updates and provide support and other services.
We use the IP address only for activities necessary to provide, maintain or analyze the Services; perform network communications; protect the security or integrity of the user and the Services; or ensure legal or regulatory compliance. We do not combine the IP address with other information to personally identify your child, so it is considered non-identifying.
Your Personal Information
- When ordering the BYJU’s Learning Experience you may be required to provide your personal information (“Personal Information”), such as:
- Contact information (e.g., phone number, address, email address)
- Payment information
- Electronic communication data (e.g., IP address)
- Upon ordering the BYJU’s Learning Experience, you will receive a default device passcode (“Pin”) for LearnStation via email. This Pin will be provided exclusively to you so you can set up LearnStation for your child. Your Pin should remain secret and not disclosed to your child. You may change the Pin in the LearnStation parent zone and a copy of the Pin may be communicated to us for storage with your Personal Information.
Other information you may affirmatively provide to us is generally maintained along with Personal Information. You can choose not to provide any information that is affirmatively requested of you. However, this may limit your ability to use the Services.
User-generated content that you create on the Services may include Personal Information.
In addition to collecting information via the Services, with your consent we may collect information from you when you communicate with us over the phone, email, or other channels. This information may include Personal Information. This information may be matched with and stored in connection with Personal Information provided or collected in connection with the Services. You can choose not to provide any information with us when you communicate over these channels. However, this may limit your ability to use the Services and/or our ability to provide support.
Pre-stored Device Information
- Unique information about your LearnStation will be stored on your device, such as your device’s MAC addresses, operating system version information, unique system component identifiers, and so forth (collectively, “Device Information”). Examples include:
- Cellular and internet service provider;
- Internet browser information;
- Operating system information;
- Preferred language;
- Software version numbers; and
- Hardware model information.
- The Device Information may be unique to your LearnStation but cannot be used by us to determine the identity of your child based on the Child Information we collect. However, it can be considered your Personal Information.
Information Collected upon Receiving Support
- At times you may require support with your LearnStation. Support is provided remotely, during which you will grant temporary remote access to and control of your device. Any remote session may only be initiated with your consent and any Personal Information collected during the support session will not be persisted upon conclusion of the session.
Information Can Be Collected by the Apps
Information Collected Automatically
- The LearnOS may log file information and other access and error-related information. These logs may include information that can be used to diagnose and address software bugs, performance, and hardware failure issues that may arise from time to time.
How We Use Your Information
- We may use your Personal Information we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- To operate the Services, monitor the effectiveness of the Services, improve the content of the Services, and improve layout and design.
- To allow BYJU’s and third-parties to provide Apps.
- To help provide you with a smooth, efficient user experience.
- To monitor, analyze, and describe usage patterns and performance of the Services.
- To secure the Services.
- To conduct system administration and system troubleshooting and to diagnose or fix technology problems.
- To comply with legal requirements and processes (for example, in response to subpoenas, court orders, and law enforcement or governmental requests or investigations), and to protect our legal rights or the rights of others (for example, by working to reduce the risk of fraud or misuse of the Services).
- For marketing and advertising purposes, including, for example, custom audience creation, lookalike modeling, targeted advertising, and tracking the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising efforts.
- In connection with an unusual business transaction, such as the bankruptcy or liquidation of, sale of, purchase of, or merger with our business or another business.
- We will retain the Personal Information and Child Information for as long as is reasonably necessary in relation to the purposes for which this data was collected. In many instances, we will retain your data while it is necessary for the use of the Services, which may include maintaining this information beyond when you cease using the Services.
For instance, BYJU’s may retain users’ data for the following purposes:
- To develop new features and improve the Services;
- To support subsequent customer service inquiries;
- To improve the safety and security of the Services; or
- Comply with our legal obligations.
How We Share Your Information
Personal and Child Information
We never rent, sell, or share your Child Information with independent third parties, and we do not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information with independent third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless we have your permission.
We may share your Child Information and Personal Information with business affiliates and third parties (“Other Entities”) to provide Apps and features for the BYJU’s Learning Experience.
We may also share your Personal Information with our vendors, service providers, agents, representatives, and contractors (“Service Providers”) so they can provide us with support services and other features, which include:
- Google. LearnOS is based on Google’s Android operating system which comes equipped with standard software such as Google’s Chrome browser.
- Foxconn. We use Foxconn to assist with the development of LearnStation hardware and firmware.
- Memfault. We use Memfault for device bug reports.
- Redstone. We use Redstone to help us with upgrades of LearnOS.
- Scalefusion. We use Scalefusion for mobile device management activities like restricting Play Store, apps and website access, and publishing applications to devices.
- Generally, we limit the information provided to these Service Providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information. If you would like more information on any of these categories or specific recipients, please contact us at email@example.com.
Links To Third Parties or Third-party Content
- The Services may contain features or links to websites and services provided by third parties. Any information you provide on third-party websites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services and is subject to those operators’ policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the Services. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party websites or services to which links or access are provided through the Services. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
- We may use and share anonymized information (such as anonymous usage data, device information, logs, etc.) with interested third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Services.
Without limiting the foregoing, in our sole discretion, we may use or share aggregated information which does not identify you or de-identified information about you with third parties or affiliates for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we use or share your Personal Information, please see Your Rights and Choices below.
Instances Where We are Required to Share Your Personal Information
What happens in the event of a change of control
- We may buy or sell/divest/transfer the company (including any shares in the company), or any combination of our products, services, assets and/or businesses. Your Child Information and Personal Information may be among the items sold or otherwise transferred in these types of transactions. We may also sell, assign or otherwise transfer such Child Information and Personal Information in the course of corporate divestitures, mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies, dissolutions, reorganizations, liquidations, similar transactions or proceedings involving all or a portion of the company.
Important Information for California Users
- California law grants additional privacy rights to California residents. In particular, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires businesses to disclose, for the past 12 months, (i) the categories of personal information collected, (ii) the sources of the collected personal information, (iii) the purposes for which the collected personal information is used, (iv) the categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose, and (v) the categories of any personal information sold. BYJU’s provides these disclosures in the following table. (Note that BYJU’s does not sell any personal information, even under the broad CCPA definition of a “sale.”)
|Sources of Collection
|Purposes of Collection
|Disclosures for a Business Purpose
|Website visits, creation of accounts and registration for BYJU’s products and services
|For customer registration, to enable BYJU’s to provide and improve its products and services and to allow BYJU’s to communicate with you
|To BYJU’s service providers to assist in providing the Services
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute
|Registration to receive BYJU’s products and services
|To enable BYJU’s to provide its products and services and to allow BYJU’s to communicate with you
|To BYJU’s service providers to assist in providing the Services
|Purchase of BYJU’s products and services
|To provide BYJU’s products and services to customers and maintain purchase history
|To BYJU’s service providers to assist in providing the Services
|Internet or other electronic network activity
|Your browsing and search history on our website and other interaction with our website
|To improve the visitor experience on our website, diagnose server problems and administer our website
|To third-party analytics services providers for the purpose of enhancing, supporting, promoting, and improving the Services
|Your IP address
|To provide support and updates, secure the Services, determine approximate location, and other similar uses
|To BYJU’s service providers to assist in providing the Services
- California residents also have the rights described below. We will not discriminate against any California resident who exercises these rights.
Right to access/know your information. You may request from us a list of (i) the personal information that we have collected about you, and (ii) the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information. You have the right to up to two (2) access requests each twelve (12) months.
Right to delete your information. You may request, at any time, that we delete your information and direct our service providers to delete your information from their records.
If you would like to make a request regarding your rights under the CCPA, you can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending us a letter at
Think and Learn Private Limited
4/1, Tower D, 2nd Floor, IBC Knowledge Park, Bannerghatta Main Road, Bangalore – 560029, Karnataka, India
To ensure the privacy and protection of individuals, we are required to verify your identity (or that of your authorized agent) or otherwise authenticate your request(s), which we will do in accordance with the CCPA regulations. Please note that, under the CCPA, we are not required to grant a request to access/know or a request to delete with respect to personal information obtained from you in your role as an employee, owner, director, officer or contractor of a company and within the context of BYJU’s providing its services to such company.
Additionally, we comply with the California Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 22584) and do not:
- Engage in targeted advertising towards K-12 students based upon any information that we have acquired because of such student’s use of the Services.
- Use information gathered by our Services to amass a profile of any K-12 students.
- Sell K-12 students’ information.
Important Information For European, United Kingdom, or Brazilian Users
- The Services are not intended for use in the European Union (EU), the United Kingdom (UK), or Brazil (BR). If you are located in the EU, UK, or BR, please discontinue using our Services immediately.
- BYJU’s makes certain choices available to you when it comes to your personal data. Please review the below information outlining your choices and how to exercise them. We will respond to all requests within a reasonable timeframe.
Your Choices About Your Information
- You may, of course, decline to share certain personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Services. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page in the Services or contacting us at email@example.com. Please note that while any changes you make will be reflected in active user databases instantly or within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so. To update, correct, or delete any other Personal Information, please see the Individual Rights section below for more information.
Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving communications from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may receive communications from us that you have opted-out from during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative communications from us regarding the Services.
Review and Update Your Data
- You have the right to access and update any personal data that we have collected. Some personal data, such as the account holder’s name and email address can be found and updated using the account management tools provided by the Services. For any personal data beyond this, please submit a request using the contact information at the end of this section. We may request more information to confirm your identity before modifying any personal data.
Delete Your Data
- You also have the right to have your personal data deleted. This is sometimes known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. To request that we delete all personal data about you, please submit a request using the contact information at the end of this section. We may request more information to confirm your identity before deleting any personal data.
You must submit a request using the below information if you wish to delete all personal data from our system.
After you delete your personal data from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not immediately remove data from our backup systems, for archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so. We may also decline to honor this request in certain specific situations, such as if the data is necessary to comply with a legal obligation or to exercise/defend a legal claim.
- You have the right to restrict how we process your personal data in certain circumstances. In some ways, this is an alternative to requesting the erasure of your data. Rather than requesting we erase all of your personal data, you may request that we limit our uses of your personal data to specific purposes. You may wish to request we restrict our processing if you contest the accuracy of your personal data and we are working to verify this information, or if you want us to retain your personal data in connection to a legal claim but cease processing it.
- You have the right to obtain copies of your information in a structured, commonly used format that permits you to move your data between our Services and the services of others. We may request more information to confirm your identity before providing any personal data.
Right to Object
- You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes or when our processing of your data is based on legitimate interests. You may request that we stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. This is an absolute right and we cannot refuse this request. Beyond direct marketing, if you wish to exercise this right, you must give specific reasons why you object to our processing of your data, based on your particular situation. Even after receiving such a request, we may continue processing if it is necessary for the exercise/defense of a legal claim or if we can demonstrate a compelling legitimate ground for the processing.
If any request made under this section is manifestly unfounded or excessive, we may reject the request or require a reasonable fee to honor the request. If we decide to reject your request, we will inform you of the reasons for not taking action and provide information on other possible remedies. If we decide that a reasonable fee is necessary, we will promptly inform you and will comply with the request upon receipt of this fee.
Contact for Individual Rights Requests
- Please use the below information when submitting a request to exercise any of the above rights. Please do not submit requests across multiple communications channels. We will make all efforts to respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
- 4/1, Tower D, 2nd Floor, IBC Knowledge Park, Bannerghatta Main Road, Bangalore – 560029, Karnataka, India
You can contact BYJU’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org with any privacy-related requests or questions.
How We Protect Your Information - Security and Passwords
- BYJU’s takes what it believes to be commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect Personal Information. However, since no security system is impenetrable and “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet, we cannot guarantee the security of Personal Information or Browsing Information.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Pin and account, and we will attribute activities that occur using your account information (e.g., through the use of your password or Pin) to you. If you suspect that your Pin, password, or other information has been compromised, contact us immediately at email@example.com.
Email and Recommendation Communications That We May Send
- We may send you, or you may elect to sign up to receive emails or other communications from us. To help us understand whether we are providing information of interest to you, we may include software code or other tracking technologies in our emails to monitor whether you opened a particular email, whether you have clicked on the images and/or links in the email, the date and time the message was opened, and whether your computer is capable of receiving HTML-based email. We endeavor to allow you to unsubscribe at any time from our email programs by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email message. We reserve the right to send you service announcements or similar administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Compromise of Personal Information