Stroke is a condition where the brain doesn’t get enough or adequate supply of blood due to clots. As a result, the brain cells start to starve of oxygen and die. During a stroke, the most important aspect is time. This is because, sooner the doctors administer treatment, higher the chances of a full recovery.
When precious minutes are wasted, the cells of the brain die, resulting in impairment of body movement and coordination. Stroke symptoms are rather unusual and very sudden. The best way to diagnose if a person is having a stroke is to perform the following tests:
- Try raising both the hands upwards, if one of the hands drop down, then the stroke is imminent or has occurred.
- Try to speak a phrase aloud. If slurring happens, it is a sign of stroke
- Try smiling, if one of the sides of the cheek droop, then a stroke has occurred.
The major causes of stroke are:
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Arteriovenous malformation
Stroke is a disease that has a long list of risk factors. Individuals who are suffering from heart disease, hypertension, diabetes have a higher risk of stroke. Individuals who smoke are also more prone to strokes. Common characteristic symptoms of stroke include:
- Sudden numbness in the face
- Numbness on one side of the arms
- Slurred speech
- Blurred vision
- Trouble communicating with people
- Sudden and severe headaches
- Nausea and Vomiting
The risk factors involved in stroke are:
- An unhealthy diet increases the risk of stroke.
- Lack of exercise increases the risk of stroke.
- Too much alcohol consumption.
- People who consume tobacco are more prone to strokes.
Should any of the above stroke symptoms appear, seek medical attention immediately. This is because time is a very crucial factor when it comes to treating stroke.
To know more about stroke symptoms and its causes, keep visiting BYJU’S website or download BYJU’S app.