The main purpose of conducting this experiment of a plant cell is to regulate how the different concentrations of salts affect the cytoplasm of plant cell when exposed to them.
- Graduated Cylinders
- Red onion
- safety goggles
- table salt
- small knife
- paper towels
- distilled water
- Collect all the materials that are needed for a plant cell science experiment. Wear the safety goggles.
- Make Use of knife to cut onions into two pieces of wedge-shaped
- Use eyedropper for placing a drop of the distilled water at the center of the slide of the microscope.
- Make use of tweezers in order to peel the thin layer of the skin tissue in part of onion wedge. Place it at the center of slide of microscope
- Add one drop of the distilled water & also one drop of the stain may be iodine or even eosin over onion tissue on the slide.
- Lower the glass slip cover carefully at an angle above the tissue which is stained, thus allowing the air bubbles in order to escape.
- Examine this slide under compound microscope at a magnification of 100X
- Later draw and also identify the observed structures.
- Prepare about 5 percent solution of salt by adding about 5 gms of salt per 100 ml of the distilled water in a graduated cylinder. Then gently shake it until it gets dissolved. Prepare 10 percent of the solution by adding about 10 gms of the salt per 100 ml of the distilled water in one more graduated cylinder.
- Add 5 percent of the solution by use of dropper to one part of the prepared slide. The 5% solution should get mixed with the liquid which is already on the slide of onion tissue.
- Then glide the triangle-shaped end of the paper towel under opposite end of the cover slip. This will make the liquid to get mixed more with the liquid on the slide. Use some more additional drops of the 5% solution when needed in order to complete the introduction of the new solution.
- Repeat the process in steps 7 and also 8.
- Make use of dropper again to add few drops of 10% solution to the one part of the coverslip of the slide with 5% solution. The 10 percent solution should get mixed with the liquid which is already on the slide of onion tissue.
- Glide the triangle-shaped part of the paper towel on the opposite end of the cover slip. Use some additional drops of about 10% solution when needed for completion of the new solution.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 for your plant cell science project.
After the recording of the data, you will get to know as to how the different salt concentrations affect the cytoplasm as well as the growth of the plant.
Learn different methods to understand Plant Tissue and Animal Tissue though step-wise diagram and video lectures. Download BYJU’S-The Learning App and enjoy learning Science.