Doctors use various complicated tools to monitor the health of patients. You can make a few of these tools like the stethoscope at home easily! Doctors use stethoscopes to listen to a patient’s heartbeat. In this project, you will learn to make your own stethoscope. Once you build a stethoscope, you will be able to hear the difference between active and resting heartbeat as well as the difference between your heartbeat and the heartbeat of others in the house.
To make a homemade Stethoscope.
- A tubing piece
- A balloon
- A timer
- Rubber band
- Take a tubing and fit a funnel at both the ends.
- Enlarge the balloon by blowing and then let the air out.
- Cut top third of the balloon.
- Stretch the top of the balloon tightly above the open end of any one of the funnels. You can use a band to hold it in the correct place.
- Sit in a quiet place and keep the end of the funnel with a balloon on your chest, towards the left centre on the skin.
- Keep the other funnel over the ear. You can hear a little beating sound.
- Make use of the timer to count the number of beats you hear in 20 seconds. Multiply this value by three to calculate how much your heart beats in a minute.
- Try doing more tests like running for 5 minutes and check how fast your heart beats.
The doctors listen to your heart beats for two seconds with a stethoscope. The first sound is a low pitched and longer sound while the second beat is higher and shorter sound.