What is the Lewis Dot Structure?
The number of valence electrons for an element is represented as dots in electron dot structures. The valence electrons have the highest energy level as determined by the periodic table.
The element symbol is used to represent an electron dot structure, and dots are added in a clockwise manner starting at the top of the element symbol until the number of valence electrons is reached. The number of electrons that can be used is limited to eight.
Table of Contents
Lewis Dot Structure of Aluminium
Aluminium is in the Periodic Table Group IIIA and thus has three valence electrons. It is denoted by the symbol Al. A single aluminium atom contains 13 electrons. The first orbit has two electrons, the second orbit has eight, and the third orbit has three. Thus, it is surrounded by three dots in its Lewis structure.
Properties of Aluminium
The following are some of the physical properties of aluminium:
- The element is extremely reactive. It is approximately one-third the stiffness and density of steel.
- Aluminium has a lower density than any other commercial metal except magnesium.
- Aluminium is a silvery-white metal with no odour or taste. With increasing silicon content, the alloys of aluminium become ductile and soft.
- The cubic structure of the aluminium crystal is face-centered.
- Aluminium has good corrosion resistivity.
Uses of Aluminium
- As castings, it is used in the transportation of railways, trucks, and automobiles.
- It is used in the packaging industry.
- In the reactions of Al metal with oxidants, Al(III) compounds are observed.
- The presence of aluminium can be detected in qualitative analysis using aluminon.
Example of Compounds by Aluminium
Fluorine (F) can also bond with aluminium (Al). Aluminium has three extra electrons that fluorine atoms can easily use. Since aluminium has three valence electrons, three fluorine atoms can bond. AlF3 is the chemical formula.
Chlorine (Cl) can also form a bond with aluminium (Al). Aluminium has three extra electrons that can easily be used by chlorine atoms to bond. The formula of the compound is AlCl3.
Aluminium (Al) and phosphorus (P) are also capable of bonding. Aluminium has three extra electrons and every phosphorus atom needs to gain three electrons. It has the chemical formula AlP3.
Frequently Asked Questions on Aluminium Lewis Dot Structure
What is the electronic configuration of Aluminium?
The electronic configuration of Aluminium is [Ne] 3s2 3p1.
How many valence electrons are there in aluminium?
The general electronic configuration of aluminium is 2,8,3. This means that there are 3 electrons present in the outermost shell. Therefore, the valence electrons for aluminium is 3.
Is aluminium a metal?
Yes, aluminium is a metal. It belongs to group III-A or the boron group. It is the most abundant element in Earth’s crust and the most widely used non ferrous metal.
What is the lewis dot structure of aluminium?
Aluminium has three valence electrons. It is denoted by the symbol Al. The lewis dot structure of aluminium is that three dots surround its chemical symbol Al.
Why is aluminium the best metal?
Aluminium is a highly versatile metal with numerous advantages; it is well-known for being both lightweight and flexible. It can be cast, melted, formed, machined, and extruded, allowing it to be manufactured into a variety of shapes and then fabricated to suit a wide range of applications.