We all are aware of the internet lingo, which is sometimes also called WhatsApp language. We no more write complete words or complete phrases. There are a variety of abbreviations we use in our daily lives like PS, LOL, BFF, etc. All these acronyms have different meanings and different usages. In this article, we will be discussing the meanings and various usages of the acronym LOL.
What do we Mean by LOL?
- LOL is the acronym for ‘laugh out loud’, which can be used as a verb or an interjection.
- Lol is considered the most commonly used term in our messaging language.
- It is also used for slight amusement that a person feels.
- With time, the usage of this term has also been reduced.
Meaning of LOL
The term LOL has been a part of our electronic communication since a long time ago, but the use of this term has changed with the passage of time. Now, we hardly recognise the term laugh out loud or laughing out loud. People have used the term in various ways. It has also been used as an acronym for lots of love. But, the term LOL has been in use as laughing out loud or laugh out loud.
Usage of LOL
The term LOL can be used as a verb or an interjection. People use the term either in all caps or all in small letters. The term can be either written as LOL or lol in electronic communications. The term is used in informal communication and is never used in formal language. Writing LOL might indicate that you are laughing aloud, but while speaking, saying LOL might sound contradictory because instead of saying LOL, you can actually laugh.
There are no hard and fast rules for writing the term, LOL. It can either be fully capitalised or written in small letters. Depending on the person, it can vary. For a better understanding of the usage of the term, refer to the examples provided below.
- It was such a funny incident. LOL!
- I lol whenever I see you in this dress.
- I lol’d really hard looking at his dance.