English is a language with words that have spellings which you might not normally guess. There are words with similar sounds denoted by a combination of different letters and also those with the same combination of letters having different sounds. For instance, take a look at these two sets of words – ‘through’ and ‘threw’, and ‘tough’, ‘plough’, ‘cough’ and ‘through’. So, it is important that you prioritise learning the spellings of words as you learn new words. One way to do it is by understanding spelling rules and working out spelling exercises. This article has some spelling exercises you can try. Check them out.
Spelling Exercises with Answers
Complete the following exercises and check your answers once you are done.
Exercise 1 – Choose the correct spellings
Read the following sentences and choose the correct spelling from the given options.
- Mr Patrick is our new (principle/principal).
- The company (excepted/accepted) all the terms.
- Please don’t keep your dog on the (lose/loose).
- The (later/latter) is my best friend.
- I need some (stationary/stationery) products for my craftwork.
- The actor (excepted/accepted) the Oscar.
- I will call you (later/latter) in the evening.
- Covid (affects/effects) the lungs.
- The (council/counsel) of the ministers were sworn in yesterday.
- Robert (too/to) wants to accompany us to the park.
- Mia will (council/counsel) me about choosing fashion as my career.
- The (bear/bare) at the zoo was very playful.
- The sheep have a lot of (fur/far) that keeps them warm.
- The hot spring is at the (furthest/ farthest) corner of the street.
- Can you (advice/advise) me on how to study for exams?
- The team will (loose/lose) the match if they don’t play well.
- Can you go (to/too) the market for me?
- The teachers asked the students to keep (quite/quiet).
- The (heap/hip) of garbage should be cleaned immediately.
- This is (there/their) house.
Answers for Exercise 1
Exercise 2 – Choose the correct spelling
Fill in the blanks from the given options.
- Rose is a beautiful ___. (flour/flower)
- All ____ Nandini came to the program. (except/accept)
- The ____ is very gloomy today. (weather/whether)
- You have to ___ a bit longer. (bear/bare)
- That was an _____ answer. (excellent/excelent)
- ___ you present there? (where/were)
- The dress is ____ in color. (beige/biege)
- The police got ___ from the crime scene. (prove/proof)
- The teacher ____ the parents that she will look into their child’s performance. (ensured/assured)
- Sahara is the largest ____ in the world. (dessert/desert)
- This cloth is very ____. (rough/rhough)
- The patient was _____ after the surgery. (conscious/ conscience)
- A bee’s ___ is very painful. (sting/stinge)
- The movie is just _____. (beginning/ beggining)
- The baby was ___ with his mother. (talking/taking)
Answers for Exercise 2
Frequently Asked Questions on Spelling Exercises
What’s the difference between accept and except?
Accept means to take or acquire, whereas except means to exclude.