What is the full form of API?
The full form of API is the Application Program Interface. API is a collection of protocols, routines and software-building apps. In essence, an API explicitly says how elements of the software should communicate. Furthermore, APIs are used while configuring GUI (graphical user interface) components. A powerful API makes the creation of a system simpler by offering all of the basic building blocks. A developer then assembles the blocks.
Various types of APIs
Operating systems, apps or websites have several various types of APIs. For example, Windows has several API collections that are utilized by the device hardware and software, that is when an individual copies and pastes text from one app to another, it’s the API that enables it to function. The main four kinds of APIs are
- Public or open APIs – Such APIs are freely available and accessible to the public and it is not limited.
- Partner APIs – These APIs are not publicly available. Therefore you need extra privileges or permits to use them.
- Private or Internal APIs – These APIs are usually intended for use within the company and can only be accessed via internal operations. An organization can use this form of API to develop its services and products throughout various internal units.
- Composite APIs – These APIs merge various Data and Service APIs. It is a series of tasks that operate as a result of implementation synchronously and not on a task request. The primary purpose of this type of API is to accelerate the instruction execution cycle and enhance user functionality on the web application.
Examples of APIs
Salesforce.com launched API at the IDG Demo 2000 event on February 7, 2000, at that time these were not publicly accessible. ProgrammableWeb, a platform that records over 15,500 APIs, lists of several most famous APIs are
- Twitter APIs
- Google Maps APIs
- Flickr APIs
- Amazon Brand advertisement APIs
Benefits of APIs
- APIs are of excellent usages since they can insert requirements to the device without composing the full code themself.
- APIs can be prosecuted to access applications data.
- APIs are valuable for device configuration and enhancement.
- These maintain a high speed of application functionality.
Limitations of APIs
- As a gateway, getting hacked is most susceptible.
- If it has been hacked, other device apps are immediately vulnerable to attack.
- The system may crash while testing an API
- An API is complicated to manage.