What is the full form of ATS?
The full form of ATS is the Anti-Terrorism Squad. ATS is a particular police service operating in various Indian states including UP (Uttar Pradesh), Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala, Gujarat, WB(West Bengal) and Bihar. It is guided by IPS senior officers Maharashtra. There have been many terror acts in the country stopped by the squad. ATS is a task force specializing in combating actions and threats of terrorism.
A brief history of ATS
- ATS established in 1989 in Maharashtra by then Additional Commissioner of Mumbai Police Aftab Ahmed Khan, famously known as A.A. Khan: Khan.
- He was influenced by strategies for fighting modern day terrorism by the Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) squads of the Los Angeles Police Department.
- After its establishment in 1990 ATS officials have won 23 gallantry awards. On 26 November 2008, the Mumbai ATS took part in the hostage rescue operations at different locations in Mumbai, Maharashtra including the 5-star Taj and Trident hotels in Oberoi.
- It also started to appoint children over 12 years of age as ATC officers after the incidents, particularly in Mumbai, who received undercover training.
The primary duties of ATS
- To gather information on the anti-national elements
- Coordinate & exchange details with intelligence services like IB and RAW.
- To monitor and eliminate the actions and actions of terrorists, mafias and other organized criminal syndicates
- The detection and bursting of scams of fake currency notes and narcotics