What is the full form of BDS?
The full form of BDS is a Bachelor of Dental Surgery . BDS is India’s only authorized and recognized highly qualified dental course. It is a Five-year undergraduate education that empowers students to enter the noble profession of dental science and surgery.
BDS is a mandatory undergraduate dental course for students wishing to become a qualified dentist in any government hospital, college or private sector. It is among the most popular courses after the MBBS course pursued by Biology students.
During the BDS course, one year of a paid internship, which is mandatory and is a part of the rotating curriculum, allows students to consider 2-3 rotations in different departments. Students study subjects including Dental Histology, Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology, Public Health Dentistry, and Emergency Medicine, etc. They are also gaining skills and education in dental practice.
- The minimum required percentage is 50 per cent for enrollment to BDS in Class XII with NEET qualification.
- Students must have Chemistry, Physics and Biology as mandatory subjects with 50% marks.
List of top BDS colleges
There are presently over 300 dental colleges all over India with about 26,000 seats, both in private and government universities.
- Manipal College of Dental Science, Manipal
- Faculty of Dental Sciences IMS BHU Varanasi
- Faculty of Dental Sciences King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
Entrance examination for BDS course
There are not many BDS entrance tests, as admission generally takes place based on obtained NEET(National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) results.
The process to get admission for BDS courses
- Class XII scores should be more than 85 per cent as these scores are also taken into consideration when admitting to a dental college.
- There should be advanced subject knowledge, particularly in the field of science, so you can easily score well on NEET exam.
- Candidates should clear the cut-off score by different prestigious colleges so that you can proceed with your admission procedure through counselling at your selected college.
- NEET counselling session will consist of a total of 3 rounds so you should be ready for those sessions.
Career opportunity after BDS course
Employment opportunity for after BDS course are listed below
- Students can work in private and government sector
- Students can also research in the field of dental science.