What is the full form of FSSAI?
The full form of FSSAI is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The organization belongs to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Indian Government. To ensure that healthy and nutritious foods are accessible to humans, it aims to establish scientific standards for the control, inspection and regulation of the production, storage, selling, distribution and import of foods.
Important points about FSSAI
- Under the Food and Safety Act of 2006, FSSAI was established.
- Its headquarter is located in New Delhi, India.
- It has eight its regional office which is located in Chandigarh, Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Guwahati, Kolkata, Cochin & Chennai.
- There are four referral laboratories and seventy-two local food testing lab for the testing of adulterated products.
- The organization has the power to perform chemical research on various firms’ food items.
- It also makes progress against businesses that do not ensure the appropriate nutrition & quality of the food items. For example, FSSAI banned Maggi noodles.
- FSSAI is allowed to grant licences that conform to its rules and practices to Food Business Operators.
- The licence is now compulsory anyone who is in a food company, like a food processor, food trader and owner of a hotel or restaurant.
FSSAI ‘s main functions
- Framing of laws to set down food safety standards.
- Authorizing standards to accredit labs for food testing.
- Providing the Central Government to technical assistance and scientific guidance.
- Conducting surveys to obtain food intake and food pollution information.
- Spread data to raise awareness regarding food quality.
- Conduct training programmes to educate individuals who have been in or want to begin a food business.