What is the full form of GUI?
The full form of GUI is the Graphical User Interface. The GUI is a user-friendly interface used in aid of electronic devices to communicate. It shows all the content that a user needs to imagine, whether that’s a text file or an entity, or images or videos. It works well and can be used everywhere, including cell phones, tablets, laptops, personal computers and all other electronic equipment. It can also be included where the resolution is regarded in the gaming aspect.
A brief history of GUI
- There was no GUI before, so people were using the CLI (command-line interface) to communicate.
- The CLI was not that pleasant to use and that all the commands were not familiar to the end-user. So, the interface was implemented to bridge this void.
- The GUI’s primary goal was to make the apps even more user-friendly.
- People love when the assignment they want to do is completed quickly and efficiently.
- The GUI emphasises that “ease of use” is one of the most essential aspects.
- The initial GUI-centric machine operating model was the Xerox 8010 Information System.
- It was designed and built at Xerox PARC by Alan Kay, Douglas Engelbart & their collaborators.
- The frequently requested GUIs are Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X until 2014.
- In mobile devices, the commonly used GUIs are Apple’s IOS & Google’s Android Interface.
Fundamental components of GUI
The necessary components and their function are given below.
It is a marker that pops up on the screen. Pointer proceeds to select objects and commands.
It allows a user to move the pointer & pick objects, such as a trackball or mouse, on the display screen.
It refers to small images on the display screen that represent commands, documents, windows, and so on. A user can execute such commands by using a pointer & pointing device.
It is the screen that is contained within the icons.
Features of GUI
- GUI is user-friendly, that is, very convenient to use.
- A GUI comprises of multiple features including tabs, menu, pointers and& several other kinds of items
- The icons displayed on the user interface reflect the software or the document or a few appropriate programmes on display.
Benefits of GUI
- The user interface is pretty simple and straightforward to grasp for beginners.
- It’s very easily accessible and intuitive that can be used by everyone.
- End-users do require to memorise instructions for the programme to execute operations.
Limitations of GUI
- A bad Interface still poses an issue for gamers because it has a harmful effect on them.
- A non-user-friendly Interface will confuse the user as well as reduce the effectiveness of finishing the works.