What is the Full form of HAL?
The full form of HAL is Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. HAL is a state-owned Indian aerospace and defence firm headquartered is located in Bangalore, India. The Indian Ministry of Defence handles it.
The government-owned company mainly engages in aerospace activities and is presently involved in the fabrication & production of aircraft, design, helicopters, jet engines & their replacement parts. It has many facilities scattered throughout India including Bangalore, Kanpur, Nasik, Koraput, Korwa, Lucknow, Kasaragod and Hyderabad.
History of HAL
- HAL was founded in Bangalore on 23 December 1940 by Walchand Hirachand as Hindustan Aircraft Limited. The office began in a bungalow on Domlur Road named “Eventide.”
- During the 2nd World War, the Govt in March 1941. India bought a one-third stake in HAL and realized its strategic significance.
- The firm was placed under the administrative control of Min. of Industry and Supply in December 1945.
- It moved under the administrative control of Ministry of Defence in January 1951.
- The HT-2 Trainer aircraft, built by HAL under the direction of Dr V.M. Ghatge, first operated in August 1951.
- Whereas AIL (Aeronautics India Limited) was founded in August 1963, an enterprise owned and run by the Government of India to start production of MiG-21 aircraft in India.
- Hindustan Aircraft Limited was combined with Aeronautics India Limited in October 1964, and therefore HAL came into existence.
- A separate HAL unit for the development of Cheetah & Chetak Helicopters in Bangalore was formed in 1970.
- Avionics Design Bureau was founded at Hyderabad in 1971 to produce and develop UHF, IFF, HF, Radio altimeter & components and so on.
- It started production of ‘Jaguar’ aircraft in 1979, following the licensing deal with British Aerospace.
- It signed an agreement with the USSR in 1982 for swing-wing MiG-27 M production.
- In 1988 a separate HAL department was formed to contribute to the country’s space programmes.
- A new ACD (Aircraft Composite Division) was established in March 2007 to produce composite material for its with in-house applications, such as LCA, ALH, and so on.
- A separate LCA (Light Combat Aircraft) Tejas Unit for manufacturing Light Combat Aircraft was founded at Bangalore in March 2014.