What is the Full form of IATA?
The full form of IATA is the International Air Transport Association. IATA is a private organization that facilitates cooperation between scheduled airlines around the world to secure, safe, reliable and economic airline services, i.e. to provide consultancy services to the airline industry.
It is affiliated with approximately 275 airlines. IATA services involve fleet & sales planning, cargo protection, capacity planning, airports operations management, aviation safety, airspace planning, etc. Besides, it also provides services for managerial accounting and distribution, accounting, lending, accounting, and fund clearing.
History of IATA
- IATA was founded in Havana, Cuba in April 1945.
- It was the successor of the International Air Traffic Association, established at The Hague in 1919.
- IATA has 57 airlines from 31 countries at the outset, but it is currently partnered with almost 250 airlines.
- It maintains offices in Montreal, Canada. It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Objectives of IATA
- Safety is IATA’s primary concern. It offers a safety device named as IATA Operational Safety Audit.
- Many countries still regulate it at the State level. 2012 Aviation records the best year ever.
- IATA established a select committee in 2014 to monitor aircraft in real-time on a flight.
- The software was launched in 2004. The program was implemented to make it easier for travellers, like bar-coded boarding passes, electronic tickets, easy travel and many other items.