What is the Full form of ICMR?
The full form of ICMR is the Indian Council of Medical Research. ICMR is a primary agency for the development, organization and encouragement of biomedical research in India. It is Govt-funded. India is one of the earliest scientific research organizations in the world, through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Its headquarters is located in New Delhi, India.
The 26 ICMR institutes focus mainly on particular health research subjects such as leprosy, tuberculosis, cholera & diarrhoeal illness, infectious diseases such as malaria, HIV, vector control, diet, food & drug toxicology, immuno-haematology, oncology, reproduction, medical statistics, etc. Its six regional medical research centres tackle regional health issues, as well as strengthening or increasing research potential in different geographical parts of the country.
A brief history of ICMR
- In 1911, the Indian government founded the IRFA (Indian Research Fund Association) with the particular purpose of promoting and coordinating clinical research in the country.
- A few significant changes were made in the IRFA organization and its operations since independence.
- The ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) was established in 1949, significantly widening the scope of its activities.
Missions of ICMR
- Translating work into practice to boost people’s health.
- The development, management and distribution of information.
- To concentrate on work on health problems among vulnerable and deprived parts of the community.
- Adopting and promoting the use of modern biology tools to tackle country health issues.
- Promote creativity in diagnostics, care, vaccinations and other disease prevention methods.