What is the Full form of MPEG?
The full form of MPEG is Moving Picture Experts Group. MPEG is a group of working experts established by ISO (International Organization for Standardization) & the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) to determine video or audio encoding and transmitting specifications/standards.
History of MPEG
MPEG was founded by Leonardo Chiariglione & Hiroshi Yasuda in January 1988. The first conference was arranged in May 1988, in Ottawa, Canada. Several of MPEG’s released version involved are listed below.
- MPEG-1 Edition
- MPEG-2 Edition
- MPEG-4 Edition
- MPEG-7 Edition
- MPEG-21 Edition, etc.
Working principles of MPEG
MPEG uses an algorithm wherein the information is packed into tiny bits so that they’re quickly transmitted, decompressed, and afterwards encoded using Discrete Cosine Transform. MPEG’s compression rate is high as it doesn’t keep the whole frame; it just holds the changes made to the structures. The functions of MPEG include:
- Audio storage in Compact Disk(CD)
- Videos storage in digital videotapes
- MPEG documents create a quite good quality duplicate of the original data.
- MPEG document application is compatible with many other internet browsers and can be used on different platforms.
Limitations of MPEG
- Less compression ratio.
- The file sizes are more significant.
- It takes longer to load because of the large file size.