What is the full form of RAW?
The full form of RAW is the Research and Analysis Wing. RAW is India’s main international intelligence agency. After the Indo-China War in 1962 and the Indo-Pak War in 1965 RAW agency was created. RAW was formed in September 1968 under the guidance of Rameshwar Nath Kao with head office in New Delhi, India. He was RAW’s first Director. RAW is indeed not personally answerable to the documents directly to the Indian PM(Prime minister).
The primary reason for developing RAW was India’s intelligence committee’s bad performance in the battles against Pakistan and China. RAW agency’s new Director is Samant Kumar Goel, he was a 1984 batch IPS officer and was elected on June 26, 2019. Anil Dhasmana was former Director of the RAW agency.
Objectives of RAW agency
- Collecting foreign intelligence.
- Encouraging counter proliferation.
- Actively participate in counterterrorism.
- Guiding Indian decision makers.
- Developing India’s international strategic interests.
- The weak performance of the Intelligence office in the battles against China in 1962 and Pakistan in 1965 was the most crucial foundation behind the establishment of RAW.
- RAW was developed in September 1968 under the management of Rameshwar Nath Kao.
- RAW started as a branch of the Chief intelligence service with 250 staff and an annual budget of around 20 million.
- The RAW annual budget had risen to some 300 million in the early seventies, while its staff and workforce counted quite a few thousand.
- Kao had persuaded the Government to establish the Aviation Research Center (ARC) in 1971.
- The Radio Research Center and the Electronics & Technology facilities were introduced to RAW in the years 1970 and 1990.
- Until now, the Government of India has supplemented another signal intelligence service called the National Technical Facilities Organization (NTFO) in 2004, which has been later named NTRO in a while.
- Under the Cabinet Secretariat, the JIC ( Joint Intelligence Committee) is responsible for bridging, evaluating and reviewing intelligence activities between RAW, the Intelligence agency and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).