What Is the Full Form of UPS?
The full form of UPS is Uninterruptible Power Supply. UPS is a type of power supply system with an integrated battery, and in the absence of primary mode or when power is shut down, the battery is used for the power source. An UPS can keep a computer operating for a few minutes, which gives people enough time to retain all of the information and prevent it from being destroyed. Therefore, battery size plays an essential role in UPS system selection. The UPS operates as an intermediary or as a link between the general source and the machine.
Types of UPS systems
UPS systems are classified into two kinds, which are explained below.
Online UPS is a source of continuous power supply, providing power from its inverter without interruption. It has two major drawbacks, the first is that it is additionally expensive compared to standby UPS, and the second is that it consists of a cooling fan that causes a lot of noise.
Standby Power Supply
The standby power supply is also called offline UPS, and when the supply is cut off, it flips into the battery in just a few milliseconds. There was no power supply in the PC in that period. This source is primarily used in a computer or office supply store.
Important Points to Remember
- It was John Hanley who was the first to invent UPS. John Hanley constructed the first Uninterruptible Power Supply in 1934.
- It helps to counter damage inflicted by current spikes and surges to the hardware.
- It protects against data loss and corruption.
- It has high efficiency and reliability.
- It provides networks and other apps with the ease of access while restricting downtimes.
- Comparatively low demands on size, cost, and weight.
- Power supply for emergency
- Offers protection against surges
- More battery life
- Uninterruptible power supply prices are cheaper for maintenance and are therefore cost-effective.
- Shields against unknown data loss
- The Replacement Cost is higher since these UPS batteries will not last forever. UPS batteries will last only five to ten years, so new cells have to be replaced.
- It’s not simple to install the UPS, and we require experts to fix it.