The Full form of SCTP is the Steam Control Transmission Protocol.
SCTP, a protocol found in computer networks, is connection-oriented. It allows for a full-duplex association, inclusive of multiple in sequence transmission of data from one endpoint to the other simultaneously that establishes a connection in the network.
SCTP, sometimes referred to as the next generation TCP or TCPng also supports telephonic conversation via the Internet. In order to transmit a telephonic conversation along with other data on both ends at the same time, the transmission of voice needs to be done. With SCTP protocol, a reliable connection can be quickly established.
Establishing connection over a wireless network while managing the transmission of multimedia data also becomes more accessible with SCTP. SCTP, which is developed by IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), has RFC 2960, a standard protocol.
Features of SCTP
- One to One Transmission with Multiple Properties: A point to point protocol that uses various paths to reach the end host.
- Transmission is reliable: SACK and Checksums are made use of to determine not just the ordered data. It also detects the corrupted, damaged, duplicate, discarded, and reordered data. Even if similar to TCP, SCTP is more efficient in reordering data.
- Message Oriented: Every message is framed, and the order of the data stream and proper tabs on the structure are appropriately followed. If it had been TCP, there would be a need for a different layer of abstraction for this purpose.
- Multi-Homing Support: Both ends of a connection can include more than one IP address and does not depend on the IP layer for resilience.
Advantages of SCTP
- A complete duplex-connection where it allows for simultaneous transmission of data from one end to the other and vice versa.
- Half closed connections are enabled where one side believes the connection to be closed, while the other believes it to be still open.
- The application sets the message boundaries, and the message does not have to be split.
- Imbibes characteristics of both TCP and UDP Protocol.
- It does not depend on the IP layer for resilience.
Disadvantages of SCTP
- The transport stack on the node needs to be modified
- Changes need to be made to the application to use SCTP as an alternative to UDP or TCP
- Application has to be modified to manage multiple streams simultaneously