The objectives of the Panchayats (Extension to the Scheduled Areas) PESA Act are as follows:
- To extend the provisions of Part IX of the Constitution relating to the panchayats to the scheduled areas with certain modifications.
- To provide self-rule for the bulk of the tribal population.
- To have village governance with participatory democracy and to make the Gram Sabha a nucleus of all activities.
- To evolve a suitable administrative framework consistent with traditional practices.
- To safeguard and preserve the traditions and customs of tribal communities.
- To empower panchayats at the appropriate levels with specific powers conducive to tribal requirements.
- To prevent panchayats at the higher level from assuming the powers and authority of panchayats at the lower level of the Gram Sabha.