A computer is an electronic device, which works based on instructions given to the computer by the users.
It has four parts:
- CPU – Central Processing Unit
Charles Babbage is known as the “Father of Computers”. He was the first person who made many discoveries and inventions, and developed the first mechanical computer in 1822.
Features of Computer
The computer has become an important part of life for all of us today. That’s why today’s era is said to be the computer’s era.
Listed below are a few important features of a computer.
- This electronic device can work for days continuously.
- A computer can store and retrieve stored data within seconds.
- A computer is a fast electronic device, which can perform a task in a second.
- All the calculations and operations done by computers are 100% correct.
- Today, with the help of computers, we can pay our water, electricity, phone and other bills online.
Applications of Computer
As mentioned above, the computer can perform various tasks with the help of different programs, such as:
- Computers help us to exchange information or data with the entire world.
- We can create, edit, save, open and print documents by the word processor.
- Apart from mathematical operations, computers are also used to analyse data.
- Computers can perform thousands by writing programs.
- The information from one location can be moved or copied to another within our computer.
- We can book train or airline tickets sitting at home with the help of the computer and the internet facility.
- We can take a printout of documents, appointment letters, and design templates and images for magazines, cards for marriages or other occasions etc.
Today computers have changed our lifestyle. They are being used everywhere, and people are employed owing to their computer skills.
Computers are used in schools, colleges and other educational institutes for teaching students. They are also used in hospitals for recording the details of the patients. Other than educational institutes and hospitals, computers are widely used in:
- Trading centres
- Shopping malls
- In movie theatres
- Banks and offices
- News, media and mass communication
- Ticket booking centres and in transport offices
- In sports organisations to track scores, maintain player records, create virtual playing fields, etc.
Stay tuned to BYJU’S for more information on NIOS, syllabus, notes, along with its important questions and solutions.