In earlier days, before the invention of computers, we used typewriters to type documents, application forms and other formal and informal letters. This was a very lengthy process, as the user was required to check the grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and other alignment issues.
The Word Processor has come into existence to save us from any difficulties and make our documents more attractive. The word processor is the most popular computer application that enables users to create, store and display on a screen.
Let us learn more in detail about Word Processing.
Typing text and arranging it appropriately is known as Word Processing. The software used for this purpose is called the Word Processor.
A word processor is a software that allows users to create, edit, and print documents. It enables the users to edit, cut, copy, paste and store it electronically.
Application of Word Processor
Word processors are widely used for typing letters, documents, drafting emails and for many other typing and edited documents. Listed below are a few of the applications of word processors:
Word processors are commonly used to:
- Print addresses on labels or envelopes.
- Write applications for different purposes.
- Prepare resumes for applying for jobs.
- Send leave applications for school, college, or office.
- Students can prepare notes and designs for school assignments and projects.
- We can also prepare and take a printout of our invitation letters for birthdays or other occasions to invite friends and relatives.
Advantage and Features of Word Processor
The word processor is one of the most frequently used software programs on a computer. With Microsoft Word being the most popular word processor, users can create beautiful letters by writing them in various styles and fonts.
The word processor is used for typing different types of documents. Other features and advantages of a word processor are:
- A user can prepare a report for any event.
- A user can also count the number of words, lines and pages in a document.
- A user can use the inbuilt dictionary to correct the spellings of any word.
- With the help of different types of tools, a user can also create a flowchart.
- The word processor has the facility to correct spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- Word can be written in different styles, sizes and colours, by changing the font colour, font size and font style.
- Pictures, images and other creatives can be inserted into a document or file to make it attractive.
- A user can also create mailing labels, directory catalogues, price lists, books, etc.
- A user can set the margins, give page borders, write in columns, add tables, pictures and symbols, etc.
- A user can insert table, charts, drawings, equations and certain special characters (←,°,𝛼,𝜷, Ɣ, etc.), which a user cannot type, in the document.
Stay tuned to BYJU’S for more information on NIOS, syllabus, notes, along with its important questions and solutions.