A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the Carnot cycle. A Carnot cycle is defined as an ideal reversible closed thermodynamic cycle. Nicolas Leonard Sadi Carnot developed the basic model for the Carnot engine. The Carnot heat-engine cycle is a completely reversible cycle.
Read more: Carnot Engine
Important Carnot Engine Questions with Answers
1. The heat engine converts heat to _____ energy.
Answer: c) Mechanical
Explanation: The heat engine converts heat to mechanical energy.
2. ______ is the study of the relation between heat and work.
Answer: b) Thermodynamics
Explanation: Thermodynamics deals with work, temperature, and heat and their relationship.
3. The Carnot engine is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle proposed by _______.
- Leonard Carnot
Answer: c) Leonard Carnot
Explanation: Leonard Carnot was the first person to propose a theoretical thermodynamic cycle.
4. Adiabatic process equation is ______.
- PV<sup>γ</sup> = constant
- PV = 2*constant
- 2*PV<sup>γ</sup> = constant/2
- None of the options
Answer: a) PV<sup>γ</sup> = constant
Explanation: PV<sup>γ</sup> = constant
P is the pressure of the system
V is the volume of the system
γ is the adiabatic index
5. A quantum harmonic oscillator is also an example of ______.
- Adiabatic system
- Non-adiabatic system
Answer: a) Adiabatic system
Explanation: A quantum harmonic oscillator is an ideal example of an adiabatic system.
6. Thermodynamic process which occurs at a constant temperature is known as ________.
- Adiabatic system
- Isothermal process
Answer: b) Isothermal process
Explanation: The isothermal process occurs at a constant temperature.
7. The Carnot’s engine’s efficiency depends on the absolute temperature of the _____.
- Both source and sink
- Neither source nor sink
Answer: c) Both source and sink
Explanation: The absolute temperature of the source and sink affects the Carnot’s engine’s efficiency.
8. What is the equation for the first law of thermodynamics?
- ΔU = q – W
- ΔU = q + W
- ΔU = q / W
- ΔU = q * W
Answer: b) ΔU = q + W
Explanation: The equation for the first law of thermodynamics is given by ΔU = q + W.
9. Choose YES or NO: The efficiency of a heat engine is 100%.
Answer: b) NO
Explanation: The efficiency of a heat engine cannot be 100%.
10. The Carnot heat engine operates on a ______.
- Reversible Carnot cycle
- Non-reversible Carnot cycle
Answer: a) Reversible Carnot cycle
Explanation: Carnot heat engine operates on a reversible Carnot cycle and is a theoretical engine.
- What is a heat engine?
- What is a Carnot cycle?
- Define the Carnot engine.
- What is thermodynamics?
- Define adiabatic index.