Autocratic means ruler with absolute power, a person who does not take into consideration the opinions or wishes of other people. This article will shed more light on autocratic rule.
The word autocracy is derived from two ancient Greek words, “Autos” and “Kratos”. “Kratos” means strength and power, and “Autos” means self.
Autocracy – System of Government
A system of government in which the complete powers of a state or a nation are concentrated in the hands of one single person is known as an autocracy. In a democracy, the real power is in the hands of the people, whereas in an autocracy, the power is only in the hands of one person.
- In the autocratic system of government, the person wielding absolute power is not subject to external legal constraints.
- In the autocratic system of government, the person wielding absolute power is not subject to regularised mechanisms of popular control.
- An autocratic government or ruler can never succeed for long.
- A good example is the autocratic rule of the Tsar in Russia.
- The autocratic rule of the Tsar in Russia came to an end after the Russian revolution.
- Another good example is the situation that existed in India in the 1970s. When the former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, imposed an emergency in India, there was massive turmoil in society, ultimately leading to her loss in elections.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does an autocratic person mean?
An autocratic person follows a management style in which the person controls all decisions unilaterally. The inputs and suggestions of other people are completely ignored, however valid, true, and right they are. It can always be rejected by an autocratic person.
Give an example of an autocrat.
Adolf Hitler is a famous example of an autocratic ruler. He ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945.
What country has autocracy?
Currently, some of the countries which could be considered to be functioning under the autocratic rule are North Korea, Saudi Arabia, China etc.
Who is a famous autocratic leader?
In the past, there were some famous autocratic rulers like King Henry III, Napoleon Bonaparte, etc.
Was Russia an autocracy?
In the past, Russia was under the autocratic rule of the Tsar dynasty. Currently, Russia is ruled by a strong nationalist. Elections are conducted regularly in Russia.