Chennai is the capital city of Tamil Nadu. Chennai was earlier known as Madras. Madras was the official name of the city till 1996. Chennai is known as the “Health capital of India”. This article will give a good amount of information about Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu.
Chennai – Introduction
- Chennai is a very important centre of education, economy and culture of India.
- Chennai is located on the Coromandel Coast of Tamil Nadu.
- Chennai is the largest city of Tamil Nadu.
- The oldest city corporation in India is the Greater Chennai Corporation. It is also the world’s second oldest city corporation after London.
- The Greater Chennai Corporation is the civic body responsible for the management of the city. It was established in 1688.
- The majority of the population of Chennai speak the Tamil language.
Chennai – Arts and Culture
- Chennai is known as the cultural capital of South India.
- Chennai is a major centre of music, art, and culture in India.
- There are many museums in Chennai.
- Many art festivals are held in Chennai.
- Due to the rich and centuries-old musical tradition in Chennai, it was added to the UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
- Chennai is a major film production centre.
- Chennai is an important centre of Bharatanatyam classical dance.
Chennai – Economy
- Chennai has earned the nickname, “Detroit of India”.
- A major chunk of the automobile industry in India is located in and around Chennai.
- Madras stock exchange is the third largest stock exchange by trading volume ranking behind Bombay Stock Exchange, and National Stock Exchange.
- The industrial base of Chennai ranges from automobile, manufacturing, computer, technology, hardware and healthcare sectors.
- As per Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), the economy of Chennai is expected to grow to US $ 100 billion.
- Around 45% of India’s auto components industry is located in Chennai.
- Around 40% of India’s automobile industry is located in Chennai.
- Some of the important defence industries are located in Chennai.
- Even the Indian railways have their manufacturing plant in Chennai.
Chennai – Tourism
- As of 2015, Chennai was the third most visited city in India by foreign tourists.
- Chennai is known as the “Gateway to the Southern Part of India”.
- Chennai’s leading tourist countries-of-origin are Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, the United Kingdom, France and the United States.
Chennai – Education
- Some of the best educational institutions of India in various streams are located in Chennai.
- Chennai has a very high literacy rate.