Gandhinagar is the capital of Gujarat. Gandhinagar is located around 23 km from Ahmedabad. From Ahmedabad, one has to go in the northern direction to reach Gandhinagar. This article will provide interesting details about Gandhinagar and Gujarat.
Gandhinagar – A Brief Overview
- Gandhinagar lies on the west bank of the Sabarmati river.
- The very famous Akshardham temple is located in Gandhinagar.
- Gandhinagar is located at the west-central point of the Industrial corridor between Mumbai, the financial capital of India, and Delhi, the national capital of India.
- Gandhinagar city was planned by Prakash M. Apte and H. K. Mewada. These two had apprenticed under Le Corbusier, the man who had planned the city of Chandigarh.
- Males constitute 53% of the population of Gandhinagar.
- Females constitute 47% of the population of Gandhinagar.
- Gandhinagar is known as the tree capital of India. 54% of Gandhinagar’s land area has a green cover.
- The closest major international airport is Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport is located in Ahmedabad.
Gujarat – A Brief Overview
- From the former state of Bombay, 17 northern districts were carved out to form the state of Gujarat.
- There are 33 administrative districts in the state of Gujarat.
- Many states in India have coastlines, but Gujarat has the longest coastline.
- The length of the Gujarat coastline is about 1,600 Km.
- By population, Gujarat is the 9th largest state in India.
- By area, Gujarat is the 5th largest state in India.
- Ahmedabad is the largest city in Gujarat.
- The Arabian sea is located to the west of Gujarat.
- Madhya Pradesh is located to the east of Gujarat, Maharashtra to the southeast, Rajasthan to the northeast, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu to the south of Gujarat.
- Gujarat shares its border with Pakistan.
Historical Importance of Gujarat – Sites of Ancient Indus Valley Civilization
- Gujarat has 23 sites of the ancient Indus Valley Civilisation.
- Gujarat has more sites of the Indus Valley Civilisation than any other state.
- Some of the most important sites of the Indus Valley Civilisation in Gujarat are Lothal, Dholavira, and Gola Dhoro.
- 5 rare seals were found in Gola Dhoro.
- Dholavira is the 5th largest site of this ancient civilisation.
- The world’s first dry dock was located in Lothal.
- During the rule of the Saka dynasty, the Gupta empire, and the Maurya empire, Khambhat and Bharuch served as ports and trading centres.
Gujarat – Economy
- The economy of Gujarat is the 4th largest in India.
- In the Human Development Index (HDI), Gujarat occupies the 21st position.
- Gujarat is a manufacturing hub in India.
- Gujarat is a highly industrialised state in India.
- In the sphere of the pharmaceutical industry, Gujarat is ranked in the 1st position. 28% of the drugs exported are from Gujarat, and 33% of the drugs manufactured in India are from the state of Gujarat.
- The ports of Gujarat handle 40% of India’s ocean cargo.
- Gujarat ranks second among Indian states in nuclear electricity generation.
- Gujarat ranks first in gas-based thermal electricity generation.
- In India, Gujarat has the lowest unemployment rate.
- 85% of Gujarat’s villages are connected through all-weather roads.
- Reliance operates the largest refinery in Gujarat.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Ahmedabad the capital of Gujarat?
No, Ahmedabad is not the capital of Gujarat. Gandhinagar is the capital of Gujarat. Ahmedabad was the capital of Gujarat from 1960 to 1970. Later on, the capital was shifted to Gandhinagar. Ahmedabad is the largest city in Gujarat.
Why is Gandhinagar the capital of Gujarat?
Gandhinagar became the capital of Gujarat after Bombay was divided into two states, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Bombay became part of Maharashtra. Hence, Gujarat needed a new capital city.
What is the capital of Goa?
Panaji is the capital of Goa. It is the largest urban agglomeration in Goa. Panaji is located on the banks of the Mandovi river. The city was the capital of Portuguese India. In 1961, India liberated Panaji and the rest of Goa from Portuguese occupation.
What is the capital of Rajasthan?
Jaipur is the capital of Rajasthan. It is also the largest city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. The city is also known as Pink City.
What is the capital of Punjab?
Chandigarh is the capital of Punjab. It is the joint capital of Haryana and Punjab. The place is very famous as it is a well-planned city. Chandigarh is a city, district, and Union Territory of India.