Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. Trivandrum is the other name of the capital of Kerala. This article will shed some light on some of the pertinent facts related to Kerala, and its capital Thiruvananthapuram.
Thiruvananthapuram – Brief Facts
- It is the most populous city in Kerala.
- Thiruvananthapuram is a major Information Technology hub in Kerala.
- Mahatma Gandhi had referred to Thiruvananthapuram as an “evergreen city of India.”
- Thiruvananthapuram is a major tourist destination in Kerala.
- Some of the strategic and important institutions of India are located in Thiruvananthapuram. They are the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation and the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology.
- The Southern Air Command headquarters of the Indian Air Force is in Thiruvananthapuram.
Kerala – A Brief Overview
- Kerala is located on the Malabar coast of India.
- After the passage of the States Reorganisation Act, a new state of Kerala was formed on 1st November 1956.
- Kerala was formed by combining the Malayalam-speaking regions of Travancore, South Canara, Malabar, and Cochin.
Kerala – High Performance in many sectors
- Kerala is ranked the highest on the Human Development Index (HDI).
- Kerala has the highest sex ratio in India. There are 1,084 women per 1,000 men.
- As per the RBI report of 2013, Kerala was the second-least impoverished state in India.
- The literacy rate of Kerala is 96.2%.
- The state of Kerala has the highest life expectancy of 77 years.
- As per the NITI Aayog report of 2019, Kerala was ranked the highest in achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- Kerala is the second-most urbanised state in India.
- The economy of Kerala is the 8th largest in India.
- The economy of Kerala is heavily dependent on remittances from a large Malayali expatriate community.
- Kerala is one of the most important tourist destinations in India due to its tropical greenery, Ayurvedic tourism, hill stations, backwaters, and coconut-lined sandy beaches.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Kochi the capital of Kerala?
No, Kochi is not the capital of Kerala. Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. However, Kochi is widely considered as the commercial and financial capital of Kerala.
What is the real capital of Kerala?
Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. The capital of Kerala is also spelled as Tiruvanantapuram. It is also known by its earlier name, Trivandrum.
What is the capital of Tamil Nadu?
Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu. Chennai was earlier known as Madras. Madras was the official name of the city till 1996. Chennai is known as the “Health capital of India”.Chennai is known as the cultural capital of South India. Due to the rich and centuries-old musical tradition in Chennai, it was added to the UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
Which is the capital of Goa?
Panaji is the capital of Goa. Panaji was the capital of Portuguese India. In 1961, India liberated Panaji and the rest of Goa from Portuguese occupation. Area-wise, Goa is the smallest state in India.
What is the capital of Gujarat?
Gandhinagar is the capital of Gujarat. Ahmedabad was the capital of Gujarat from 1960 to 1970. Later on, the capital was shifted to Gandhinagar. Ahmedabad is the largest city in Gujarat.