Bhubaneswar is the capital of Odisha. Bhubaneswar is also the largest city in the state of Odisha. This article will give you interesting facts about the capital of Odisha and the state of Odisha.
Bhubaneswar – Important Facts
- Bhubaneswar is famously known as the “temple city” as this city had around 700 temples at one point of time in its history.
- In recent times, Bhubaneswar rose as an attractive business destination and an education hub.
- Golden Triangle, popularly known as “Swarna Tribhuja”, is Eastern India’s most visited destination. The cities coming under this are Bhubaneswar, Puri, and Konark.
- The modern city of Bhubaneswar was designed by Otto Königsberger in 1946. He was a German architect.
- Modern India’s first planned cities were Chandigarh, Jamshedpur, and Bhubaneswar.
- Bhubaneswar is one of the many cities selected under the “Smart Cities Mission” of the Government of India.
- On 19th August 1949, Bhubaneswar replaced Cuttack as the capital city of Odisha.
- The city of Bhubaneswar has witnessed a confluence of Jain, Buddhist, and Hindu heritages.
- Bhubaneswar stands near the ruins of Sisupalgarh, the ancient capital of the erstwhile province of Kalinga.
- The ancient and very famous Kalinga War waged by emperor Ashoka was in Dhauli, located near Bhubaneswar.
- In 2014, Bhubaneswar was ranked as the best city to do business in India.
- The majority of the people in Bhubaneswar are employed in the tertiary sector of the economy.
- Bhubaneswar is a hub for education with the presence of many national-level higher education institutions and research institutes.
- Until 2011, Orissa was the official name of the state of Odisha.
- Odisha is the 8th largest state in India.
- Odisha has the third-largest population of Scheduled Tribes.
- Odia is the official language of Odisha. Odia is one of the classical languages of India.
- The region of Odisha is referred to as Utkal. This region is mentioned in the national anthem of India – “Jana Gana Mana”.
- The ancient Kingdom of Kalinga was located in this region.
- The neighbouring states of Odisha are West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, and Chhattisgarh.
- Odisha is not ranked high among the Indian states on the Human Development Index.
Odisha – Flora and Fauna
- Around 31% of the land area of Odisha is covered with forests.
- Simlipal National Park is a tiger reserve located in the Mayurbhanj district of Odisha.
- Simplipal National Park has 60 species of reptiles, 304 species of birds, and 55 mammals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the capital of Tamil Nadu?
Chennai is the capital city of Tamil Nadu. Chennai was earlier known as Madras. Madras was the official name of the city till 1996. Chennai is known as the “Health capital of India”.Chennai is known as the “Gateway to the Southern Part of India”. Chennai is a very important centre of education, economy and culture of India.
What is the capital of Kerala?
Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. Mahatma Gandhi had referred to Thiruvananthapuram as an “evergreen city of India.” Some of the strategic and important institutions of India are located in Thiruvananthapuram. The Southern Air Command headquarters of the Indian Air Force is in Thiruvananthapuram.
What is the capital of Gujarat?
Gandhinagar is the capital of Gujarat. The city of Gandhinagar is located around 23 km from Ahmedabad. Gandhinagar lies on the west bank of the Sabarmati river. The very famous Akshardham temple is located in Gandhinagar. Gandhinagar is known as the tree capital of India. 54% of Gandhinagar’s land area has a green cover. Gandhinagar is located at the west-central point of the Industrial corridor between Mumbai, the financial capital of India, and Delhi, the political capital of India.
What is the capital of Haryana?
Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana. Chandigarh is the joint capital of Haryana and Punjab. Chandigarh is a city, district, and union territory of India. Chandigarh is famous for its urban design and architecture. It was designed by Le Corbusier, a Swiss-French architect. Chandigarh is ranked among the highest on the Human Development Index (HDI).
What is the capital of China?
Beijing is the capital of China. Beijing is the cultural, political and educational centre of China.