Lucknow is the capital of Uttar Pradesh. It is also the largest city in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow is also the eleventh most populous city in India. This article will shed more light on the capital of Uttar Pradesh, and the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Lucknow – A Brief Overview
- In the past, Lucknow was the centre of power for the Nawabs of the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Historically, Lucknow was the capital of the Awadh region, which was controlled by the Mughals and Delhi Sultanate.
- Lucknow is still an important hub of culture, music, poetry, technology, pharmaceuticals, finance, aerospace, commerce, and education.
- Lucknow is the centre of administration and governance.
- To boost tourism in the state of Uttar Pradesh, the Government of Uttar Pradesh created the Uttar Pradesh Heritage Arc consisting of three cities – Varanasi, Lucknow, and Agra.
- The State Government of Uttar Pradesh is based out of Lucknow.
- Many prominent schools, colleges, universities, higher education institutions, and research institutes are located in Lucknow.
Uttar Pradesh – Interesting Facts
- Uttar Pradesh is a major state located in North India.
- Uttar Pradesh has 75 districts.
- On 9th November 2000, Uttarakhand was carved out of Uttar Pradesh.
- Many important and holy rivers of India like the Ganga and Yamuna flow through Uttar Pradesh.
- The holy Triveni Sangam at Prayagraj is located in Uttar Pradesh.
- The official language of Uttar Pradesh is Hindi.
- Uttar Pradesh shares boundaries with Bihar, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Uttarakhand, and Nepal.
- More than three-fourths of the population of Uttar Pradesh follow Hinduism. Islam is another major religion in Uttar Pradesh.
- The headquarters of North Central Railway and North Eastern Railway is located in Uttar Pradesh.
- Area-wise, Uttar Pradesh is the fourth largest state in India.
- Uttar Pradesh is the most populous state in India.
- Around 16% of India’s total population is contributed by the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Uttar Pradesh – Major Tourist Destination
- Due to the presence of many ancient places of worship, Uttar Pradesh is ranked number one in domestic tourist arrivals.
- Some of the holiest Hindu pilgrimage sites are located in Uttar Pradesh.
- Varanasi, Ayodhya, Prayagraj, and Mathura are some of the holiest sites of people following Hinduism. All these holy places are located in Uttar Pradesh.
- Even some of the holiest sites of Buddhism are located in Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh has different world heritage sites. The famous Taj Mahal is located in Uttar Pradesh.
Uttar Pradesh – Economy
- In terms of Net State Domestic Product (NSDP), Uttar Pradesh is the second-largest economy in India after the state of Maharashtra.
- As of 2014-15, 19% of India’s total food grain output is from Uttar Pradesh.
- The leading occupation in Uttar Pradesh is in the field of agriculture.
- Uttar Pradesh is India’s largest producer of sugar.
- The most important commercial crop in Uttar Pradesh is sugarcane.
- The most important food crop in Uttar Pradesh is wheat.
- Large-scale industries are located in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- The southern region of Uttar Pradesh is known as the Energy Capital of India.
- Meerut is known as the sports capital of India.
- Noida, Kanpur, and Lucknow are turning out to be major hubs for Information Technology companies.
- Major products manufactured in Uttar Pradesh are railway coaches, wagons, textiles, leather goods, electronic and electrical equipment, engineering products, steel, cables, automobiles, etc.