As of 2022, India has a total of 8 Union Territories and 28 states. The Union territories of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu were combined as one single union territory on 26th January 2020. Ladakh was separated from Jammu and Kashmir and created as a separate Union Territory.
List of Union Territories of India
The 8 Union territories of India are given below:
- Jammu & Kashmir
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Union Territory of India – Jammu and Kashmir
- On 31st October, 2019 Jammu and Kashmir was removed from its status as a state and converted into union territory. Ladakh was separated from Jammu and Kashmir and was created as a separate Union Territory.
- The winter capital of Jammu & Kashmir is Jammu.
- The summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir is Srinagar.
- The literacy rate of Jammu and Kashmir is 67.16%.
- The most important languages of the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir are Hindi, English, Dogri, and Kashmiri.
Union Territory of India – Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- The total area of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is 8,249 sq km.
- The union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands has 38 inhabited islands.
- Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is separated from Thailand and Myanmar by the Andaman Sea.
- An uncontacted tribe named Sentinelese people are located in the Andaman Islands.
Union Territory of India – Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
- As per 2011 census, the sex ratio in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu was 774.
- The overall literacy rate at Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu was 76.2%.
- The languages spoken in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu are Gujarati, Marathi, Portuguese, Hindi, Varli, and Konkani.
- Some of the major tourist attractions in Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu Naida Caves, Diu Fort, Vanganga Lake Garden, BAPS Swaminarayan Temple, Tapovan Tourist complex, Nakshatra Garden, Vasona Lion Safari, Satmalia Deer Sanctuary, Tribal Museum in Silvassa.
Union Territory of India – Ladakh
- Leh is the capital city of Ladakh.
- The largest town in Ladakh is Leh.
- The second largest town in Ladakh is Kargil.
- The famous Indus, Nubra, and Shyok river valleys are found in Ladakh.
- After the Government of India passed the Jammu and Kashmir reorganisation act in 2019, Ladakh was carved out as a separate Union Territory.
- Muslims are the majority in Ladakh, they constitute 46% of the population.
- Buddhists are 40% of the population, and Hindus are 12% of the population of Ladakh.
Union Territory of India – Puducherry
- 4 small geographically unconnected parts are part of the Union territory of Puducherry.
- The union territory of Puducherry has former French establishments of Yanam, Karaikal, Mahe, all scattered in various places of south India.
- Mahe district is enclosed by Kerala, Yanam district is enclosed by Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry and Karaikal are enclosed by the state of Tamil Nadu.