What is Depression?
Depression is a common, yet a serious medical disorder which is related to the person’s mood that can affect anyone, every day and lasts for a longer time. This disorder is likely to affect to women than men. It is a real condition that affects people of all genders and ages including children.
Depression is also called as a major disorder, which affects how an individual thinks, feels, behaves and can also lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems.
An individual with this disorder may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities. There are no records to prove the exact cause for the depression. There are a variety of factors behind this mental disorders, including: Biological differences, Brain chemistry, hormones, Brain Diseases and Inherited traits.
Also Refer: Human Brain
Symptoms of Depression
The signs and symptoms of depression usually vary from one person to another and it can persist for a day, or for a week, and even for months. An individual with this medical disorder includes both mental and physical symptoms.
Listed below are the most common symptoms of depression.
- Panic attacks.
- Sleep disturbances.
- Changes in appetite.
- Inability to concentrate.
- Loss of interest in daily activities.
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts of suicide.
- Anxiousness, guilt, and Irritability
- Mood swings and feelings of tearfulness.
- Feelings of exhaustion and severe tiredness.
- Difficulty in remembering or recollecting the things
- Always feeling lonely, unhappiness and hopelessness.
- Lack of interest in work, friends, family members, and relationships.
The Physical symptoms include:
- Lack of energy.
- Digestive Disorders.
- Muscles and Joint pains.
There are different types of depression and it’s symptoms vary according to the types. The types of depression include:
- Postnatal depression
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Bipolar disorder, which is also known as manic depression.
Also Refer: Nervous System Diseases
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more information about the depression, Brain Diseases and other Neurological diseases.