The human body is a well-oiled machine that has numerous components and functions that work in conjunction with each other to keep this machine in good operating condition. The working of the Muscular and Skeletal System is essential for this.. In this informative piece, we will discuss Muscular and Skeletal Disorders.
The Musculoskeletal System
This musculoskeletal system consists of muscles, ligaments, joints, tendons, connective tissue, bones, etc. The muscular system permits movement of the body, maintains posture, circulates blood and so on. Without the skeletal system or in the absence of bones the whole system would collapse and end up being a pile of tissues. Therefore, it can be understood that one cannot debate the importance of one component over the other.
Muscular and Skeletal Disorders
A disorder can be defined in layman’s terms as a deviation from an order or an abnormality. This disorder can afflict any machine or human body. The human body, like most machines, undergoes wear and tear over time, because of age or misuse. This wear and tear can lead to disorders. The muscular and skeletal system is also subject to diseases and this affects the human body adversely. Below are mentioned a few Muscular and Skeletal Disorders.
List of Disorders
- Myasthenia gravis: It is the abnormal weakening and rapid fatigue of certain muscles. It is due to a breakdown in communication between nerves and muscles.
- Muscular Dystrophy: This is mostly hereditary. It causes progressive weakness and degeneration of skeletal muscle, which controls movement.
- Tetany: It is caused due to low blood calcium and is characterized by rapid or wild spasms.
- Arthritis: Inflammation of one or more joints. Arthritis leads to the limited movement of joints and pain.
- Osteoporosis: The chances of contracting this disease increase with age, resulting in reduced bone mass and fragile bones, thus increasing the chances of fracture. Low levels of estrogen are a common cause.
- Gout: This too is the inflammation of joints, but due to an accumulation of uric acid crystals.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about Muscular And Skeletal Disorders.