CBSE has released a notification on 5th July 2021 stating Special Scheme of Assessment for Board Examination Classes 10 and 12 for the Session 2021-22. The special assessment scheme has been launched due to the COVID-19 pandemic and CBSE schools’ necessity of adopting the virtual mode of study. The board has decided to rationalise the CBSE Syllabus for the academic year 2021-22 for Class 10 and 12 students. Also, the board examination for 2021-22 is to be divided into 2 terms with approximately 50% syllabus in each term. To know all the details on the Special Scheme of Assessment 2021-22 for Class 10 and 12, read the complete article.
Special Scheme of Assessment for Class 10 and 12 Students 2021-22 Session
The CBSE board has introduced the following schemes for the Academic Session 2021-22 for Class 10 and Class 12. Students can also download the official pdf from the link below:
The following scheme has been introduced so that the board continues to focus on assessing stipulated learning outcomes. The board is making the examinations competency and core concepts-based, student-centric, transparent, technology-driven, and advanced provision of alternatives for different future scenarios.
1) Special Scheme for 2021-22
A. Academic session to be divided into 2 Terms with approximately 50% syllabus in each term:
The syllabus for the Academic session 2021-22 will be divided into 2 terms by following a systematic approach by looking into the interconnectivity of concepts and topics by the subject experts. The Board will conduct examinations at the end of each term on the basis of the bifurcated syllabus.
B. The syllabus for the Board examination 2021-22 will be rationalized
The syllabus for 2021-22 will be rationalized similar to that of the last academic session and will be notified in July 2021. For academic transactions, however, schools will follow the curriculum and syllabus released by the Board via Circular no. F.1001/CBSEAcad/Curriculum/2021 dated 31 March 2021.
C. Efforts will be made to make Internal Assessment/ Practical/ Project
CBSE will put efforts into making the Internal Assessment/ Practical/ Project work more credible and valid as per the guidelines and Moderation Policy to be announced by the Board to ensure fair distribution of marks.
2) Details of Curriculum Transaction
- Classes IX-X: Internal Assessment (throughout the year-irrespective of Term I and II) will include 3 periodic tests, student enrichment, portfolio and practical work/ speaking and listening activities/ projects.
- Classes XI-XII: Internal Assessment (throughout the year-irrespective of Term I and II) will include end of topic or unit tests/ exploratory activities/ practicals/ projects.
- Guidelines for Internal Assessment for all subjects will also be released along with the rationalized term-wise divided syllabus for the session 2021-22. The Board would also provide additional resources like sample assessments, question banks, teacher training etc., for more reliable and valid internal assessments.
3) Term I Examinations:
A. At the end of the first term, the Board will organize Term I Examination in a flexible schedule to be conducted between November-December 2021 with a window period of 4-8 weeks for schools situated in different parts of the country and abroad. Dates for the conduct of examinations will be notified subsequently.
B. The Question Paper will have
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), including case-based MCQs
- MCQs on assertion-reasoning type
- The test duration will be 90 minutes, and it will cover only the rationalized syllabus of Term I only (i.e. approx. 50% of the entire syllabus).
C. Marks of the Term I Examination will contribute to the final overall score of students.
4) Term II Examination/ Year-end Examination
- At the end of the second term, the Board would organize Term II or Year-end Examination based on the rationalized syllabus of Term II only (i.e. approximately 50% of the entire syllabus).
- This examination would be held around March-April 2022 at the examination centres fixed by the Board.
- The paper will be of 2 hours duration and will have questions of different formats (case-based/ situation based, open ended- short answer/ long answer type).
- In case the situation is not conducive for normal descriptive examination, a 90 minute MCQ based exam will be conducted at the end of Term II also.
- Marks of the Term II Examination would contribute to the final overall score.
5) Assessment / Examination as per different situations
A. In case the situation of the pandemic improves and students are able to come to schools or centres to take the exams.
The Board would conduct Term I and Term II examinations at schools/centres and the theory marks will be distributed equally between the two exams.
B. In case the situation of the pandemic forces complete closure of schools during November-December 2021, but Term II exams are held at schools or centres.
Term I MCQ based examination would be taken by students online/offline from home – in this case, the weightage of this exam for the final score would be reduced, and weightage of Term II exams will be increased for declaration of final result.
C. In case the situation of the pandemic forces complete closure of schools during March-April 2022, but Term I exams are held at schools or centres.
Results would be based on the performance of students on Term I MCQ based examinations and internal assessments. The weightage of marks of the Term I examination conducted by the Board will be increased to provide year-end results of candidates.
D. In case the situation of the pandemic forces complete closure of schools and Board conducted Term I and II exams are taken by the candidates from home in the session 2021-22.
Results would be computed on the basis of the Internal Assessment/Practical/Project Work and Theory marks of Term-I and II exams taken by the candidate from home in Class X / XII subject to moderation or other measures to ensure validity and reliability of the assessment.
Keep learning and stay tuned with BYJU’S for the latest update on CBSE/ICSE/State Board/Competitive Exams. Also, download the BYJU’S App for interactive study videos.