An intermediate product of combustion is produced on burning methane. This product is called formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde is also known as methanal. Its chemical formula is CH2O. It is colourless liquid. It is the simplest aldehyde. It is an organic chemical which contains hydrogen, oxygen and carbon atoms.
At room temperature it is a flammable liquid and has a strong pungent smell. Because of its unique chemical properties, it is of interest to scientists, doctors and industries as well. There are various uses of formaldehyde. It is one of the most well understood organic compound which is used in various household products and building materials.
Uses of formaldehyde
When formaldehyde is dissolved in water, it is called formalin. This formalin is used as a disinfectant in industries, a preservative in some food products, funeral homes etc.
- Used in industry
- Used in medicine
- Used in building and construction
- Food and other uses
Formaldehyde uses in industry:
1. Formaldehyde is used in car manufacturing, explosives, plastic, resins, chemicals and other artificial materials.
2. It is also used in sanitary products like paper towels, napkins and tissues.
3. Formalin is used as a disinfectant in industries.
Formaldehyde uses in medicine:
1. It kills many bacteria, fungi etc so it is used as an antiseptic.
2. Some parasites and warts are treated by formaldehyde.
3. It helps to produce some vaccines and also sterilises them.
4. It can be used in the treatment of infections like urinary tract infections. Bacterial growth can be prevented using formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde uses in building and construction:
Formaldehyde resins are used to manufacture wooden products used widely in furniture, cabinetry, mouldings, flooring, shelving, counter tops and other household furnishings. Wood panels are made from the wood which will be either disposed or burned hence minimizing wood wastage
Formaldehyde uses in food and others:
1. It is used as a preservative in food, paints and cosmetics.
2. Used as an antiseptic in medicine, disinfectant in the funeral home, used in making RDX.
3. To improve the yield of fuels it is used in petroleum and natural gas industries.
4. It is also used in the manufacture of ink.
This was brief on the uses of formaldehyde in our daily life. To know more from experts download the BYJU’S – the learning app.