Propranolol is a chemical compound which is widely used in the treatment of high blood pressure. This medication can be classified as a beta blocker. Propranolol can also be used to treat thyrotoxicosis, irregular heart rate (cardiac arrhythmia), stage fright, capillary hemangiomas, and benign tremors. Another important application of propranolol is in the prevention of migraines. Some important uses of propranolol are provided in this article.
Uses of Propranolol for the Treatment of Cardiovascular Issues
- Propranolol can be used for the treatment of high blood pressure and hypertension.
- This drug can also help treat Angina pectoris (chest pain as a result of irregular blood flow to the heart muscles).
- Propranolol is also used to treat Myocardial infarctions (commonly known as heart attacks).
- As a drug, this compound works to lower the portal vein pressure, thereby alleviating portal hypertension (high blood pressure in the hepatic portal system).
- This drug can be used for the treatment of tachycardia.
- It is not uncommon for propranolol to be employed as a drug for the treatment of anxiety.
- Propranolol is also used to treat hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (a medical condition in which a portion of the heart thickens and fails to pump blood effectively).
Propranolol as a Psychiatric Medication
Although the evidence to support its use for this purpose is poor, propranolol is sometimes employed for the treatment of performance anxiety or stage fright. This drug appears to work in a manner that is similar to benzodiazepines. The advantage of using propranolol for the treatment of such anxiety disorders is that the side effects are fewer. Another notable advantage is that this drug is not addictive.
Propranolol can also be used for the treatment of specific phobias that are associated with post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD). This drug can also help curb the aggressive behaviour exhibited by certain patients who have suffered brain injuries. Another important application of propranolol is in the treatment of the excessive fluid consumption which is a consequence of psychogenic polydipsia.
Other Notable Applications of Propranolol
- Propranolol can be used for the treatment of hyperhidrosis (a condition that is characterized by excessive sweating).
- This drug can also be used to treat and prevent migraine headaches. Furthermore, propranolol can be used to prevent cluster headaches.
- It is not uncommon for propranolol to be used for the treatment of essential tremors.
- This compound is also used to treat thyrotoxicosis cases that are caused by the inhibition of the enzyme deiodinase.
To learn more about the uses of propranolol and other related topics such as the uses of ascorbic acid, register with BYJU’S now!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What drug category can propranolol be classified into?
Propranolol can be classified as a beta blocker since it works to manage abnormal heart rhythms and high blood pressure. Beta blockers work by blocking the receptor sites for noradrenaline and adrenaline on adrenergic beta receptors.
What are the cardiovascular issues which can be treated with propranolol?
Propranolol can be employed for the treatment of several cardiovascular problems such as:
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Myocardial infarction
- Angina pectoris
Can propranolol be used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder?
Propranolol is currently being investigated as a potential medication for post-traumatic stress disorder (often abbreviated to PTSD). This compound works by inhibiting the actions of noradrenaline, which is a neurotransmitter that amplifies memory consolidation.
What are the side-effects associated with the use of propranolol?
The use of propranolol can mask the symptoms of hypoglycaemia. Therefore, this drug must be used carefully by patients suffering from diabetes mellitus. Overdose of propranolol can lead to seizures and cardiac arrest.
How does propranolol work?
Propranolol is a beta blocker that works to relax cardiac muscles by blocking the receptor sites for adrenaline and noradrenaline on the adrenergic beta receptors. This drug works to decrease blood pressure.