It’s common for an exam to have a string of myths attached to it, especially if it is at an all-India level, which on a successful attempt, guarantees entry into the reputed realm of top management schools.
Let us throw light on the 10 most common myths about CAT:
- Smartness doesn’t necessarily equate to intelligence
Making smart and correct choices while answering has NO relation to a person’s intellect. CAT does not test your IQ; it just tests your logical ability to handle any stressful environment.
- Level-headedness is a requisite ONLY while attempting CAT questions
It is an indispensable life skill that needs to be cultivated. It will help Purposeful MBA Candidates conquer their highest aspirations, starting with CAT.
- Quick-thinking abilities develop overnight
CAT aspirants need to be fostered with patience, perseverance and determination over a sufficient period of time. Learn the tricks of the trade and not how to trick the trade.
- Answering more questions is important to score a high percentile
It’s a completely false notion and has no effect in increasing your score whatsoever. *Answering more correct answers is the key*.<Insert Answering more vs. Answering correctly hyperlink>
- Women should not attempt CAT because they are weak in Quantitative Ability
Vinita Bali (MD, Britannia Industries Ltd.) Neelam Dhawan (MD, HP India) and Roopa Kudva (MD & CEO, CRISIL) are only a few of the leading names in the business world. Quantitative Ability has nothing to do with gender.
- Placement Opportunities for women are lesser/companies prefer male graduates
Increasing diversity and incorporating more women into the workforce is growing in popularity. For example, HSBC has introduced an internship programme where they recruit only female candidates.
- Practising a lot is more important than anything
Quality over quantity is better in terms of assessing and working on your weaknesses. Be clear of the concepts to save your preparation time and to leave you with ample time to revise well.
- Work experience is always necessary to appear for CAT
NO! You can appear and get into an IIM of your choice in the same year you graduated. All that is required is sound preparation. Though work experience does add to the selection, it is not the only criterion.
- CAT is only for engineers
Anybody with a Passion for an MBA, combined with the right amount of preparation and time, can crack CAT; any specific stream is irrelevant.
- MBA restricts your options to the Banking/Finance/HR/Marketing fields only
MBA is also available in diverse fields such as hotel management, construction, the media/entertainment industry, rural management, data science, etc.
Now that the most common myths about CAT are debunked, you are good to go! Do you wish to appear for CAT 2023? With BYJU’S learning programmes, you can score a high percentile in CAT 2023. Take a look at our free demo videos and fall in love with learning.