The main functions of the District Legal Service Authority (DLSA) or the activities engaged by DLSA are as follows:
- Provides free and competent legal aid in the nature of counselling and legal advice, as well as free legal services in the conduct of cases before Courts and Tribunals.
- Organises regular Lok Adalats every month for pending cases of all types, as well as special Lok Adalats for special categories of cases. Lok Adalats limit costs, delays and ensure speedy justice, overcoming legal technicalities.
- Undertake responsibilities of pre-litigation dispute resolution through conciliation mechanism by establishing Permanent Lok Adalats in each district where matters relating to Public Utility Services are taken up for settlement.
- Spreads Legal Awareness among the public, targeting particularly the beneficiaries of social legislations and the public at large on various issues of legal importance.
- Special endeavour is made for rendering free legal aid to under trial prisoners whose cases are pending in courts.
- Organises Legal Literacy Classes in colleges, jails and Legal Awareness programmes for women and children in need of care and protection.