Joint Entrance Examination (Main) is an assessment conducted online and offline by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for various technical undergraduate programs. The aspirants can get admissions in B.Tech and B.Arch programs offered by NITs, IITs, IIITs and other prestigious institutions upon successful completion of the exam.
In order to apply for the JEE Main 2017, a candidate must fulfill the following criteria’s-
- You must have secured at least 75% marks in the 12th class examination or,
- You must be in the top 20th percentile in the 12th class examination conducted by the respective board.
- For ST/SC candidates the qualifying marks would be 65% in the 12th class examination or equivalent.
Also, the HRD Ministry of India in consultation with JEE (Main) secretariat/CBSE has decided that class 12th marks will not be a factor for determining all India rankings (AIR) in the Joint Entrance Exam in 2017.
Every year many aspirants undergo the JEE assessment to hone their technical skills and try to secure a place in the most reputed institutions across the country. Therefore, it is necessary for each candidate to understand and follow the instructions issued by JEE (Main) secretariat/CBSE carefully. The JEE Main exam pattern consists of two different papers for undergraduate programs, Paper I for Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) or Bachelor of Engineering (BE) and Paper II for Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch). The candidates can select their choice of papers such as Paper -1 or Paper – 2 or both Paper – 1 & Paper – 2 of JEE Main 2017. The detailed information related to JEE Main exam pattern 2017 is as follows,
JEE (Main) Paper 1:
- Subjects: Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- Number of Questions: A total of 90 objective type questions with 30 questions from each subject.
- Exam Duration: 3 hours are allotted for the completion of the test and 4 hours for candidates with 40% disability.
- Marking scheme: Each correct answer will carry four marks and for every incorrect answer 1/4th of its marks will be deducted.
JEE (Main) Paper 2:
- Subjects: Mathematics, aptitude test and drawing test.
- Number of Questions: A total of 82 questions, out of which 50 questions are for aptitude test, 30 questions are from mathematics while 2 questions are for drawing test.
- Exam Duration: The total duration of exam will be 3 hours; however, for candidates with 40% disability, the total duration will be 4 hours.
- Marking scheme: Each correct answer from math and aptitude test will carry four marks and 2 drawing questions will carry a total of 70 marks.
- Negative marking: For each incorrect response, 1/4th marks will be deducted from the allotted weight-age of the question.
A thorough understanding of the examination pattern can prove to be advantageous at the time of the examination and also for making the strategy for your exam. Therefore, it is advisable to go through all the information before you appear for the JEE Main 2017.
You can book mentor sessions to clear your doubts and seek for information related to the syllabus and important dates by downloading Byju’s – The learning app.