Numbers in words are written using the English alphabet. Numbers can be expresses both in words and figures. For example, 100,000 in words is written as One Lakh or One hundred thousand. Numbers in words can be written for all the natural numbers, based on the place value of digits, such as ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and so on.
List of Numbers in Words (1 to 100)
The below table contains numbers names from 1 to 100 in English words. The spelling of numbers from 1 to 100 are given here for students to make them learn.
In the same way, students can write the numbers from 101 to 1000 in words.
Numbers in Words (1 to 1000)
Numbers in words from 1 to 100 we have already learned in the above section. Let us see how to write the numbers from 100 to 1000 in words.
|101 – One hundred one
102 – One hundred two
103 – One hundred three
110 – One hundred ten
|111 – One hundred eleven
112 – One hundred twelve
113 – One hundred thirteen
120 – One hundred twenty
|121 – One hundred twenty-one
122 – One hundred twenty-two
123 – One hundred twenty-three
130 – One hundred thirty
After 130, we can repeat the pattern similar to the 120 series (i.e. 121 to 129), till 199. Hence, in the same way, we can write all the other numbers from 200 to 1000. Only the numbers that are the multiples of hundreds are written in words as given in the table below.
|1000||One-Thousand or Thousand|
How to Write Numbers in words?
The rules to write the numbers in words are discussed here. To write any number in the form of words, we have to check the place value. Let us learn this by observing the below steps.
- The place value of one’s, a number from 1 to 9 is written in words as, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine.
- The least number which is at tens place is 10, which is written in words as ten.
- The numbers from 11 to 19 are written in words as, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and nineteen. And the next number is twenty.
- After twenty, the numbers follow the pattern in such a way that they are written in words as thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety and so on.
- The preceding numbers are linked with these words and mentioned from one to nine. For example, twenty-one, twenty-two, etc.
Numbers in Words in Indian System
The place value names for numbers in the Indian system starts with ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, lakhs, ten-lakhs, one crore, ten-crore and so on. Let us see how the numbers are written in words in the Indian number system.
- 3000 – Three thousand
- 5000 – Five thousand
- 10000 in words – Ten Thousand
- 15000 in words – Fifteen Thousand
- 18000: Eighteen thousand
- 20,000 – Twenty Thousand
- 25,000 – Twenty Five Thousand
- 30,000 – Thirty Thousand
- 35,000 – Thirty-Five Thousand
- 40, 000 – Forty Thousand
- 45,000 – Forty-Five Thousand
For larger numbers:
- 100,000 – One hundred thousand (One Lakh)
- 200, 000 – Two hundred thousand (Two Lakhs)
- 300, 000 – Three hundred thousand (Three Lakhs)
- 400, 000 – Four hundred thousand (Four Lakhs)
- 500, 000 – Five hundred thousand (Five Lakhs)
- 10,00,000 – Ten Lakhs
- 1,00,00,000 – One Crore
Numbers in Words in International System
In the international system, the place value names vary with the Indian number system. For example, 1,000,000 is ten lakhs in the Indian system but in the international system, it is one million. Let us see, how the numbers are written in words in the international system.
- 1 million = 1000 thousand
- 1 billion = 1000 millions
Tips to Learn Number in Words
To learn numbers spelling or words, follow the below-given tips:
- Write the numbers from 1 to 10 on a sheet of paper and write their spellings
- Memorise all the spellings of 1 to 10, since the basics of all the number names rely on these.
- After 10, 11 – eleven and 12 – twelve, sounds similar.
- Now, remember after 12 we have to write 13 to 19 adding -teen as suffixes, such as thirteen, fourteen and so on.
- After 19, 20 is written as an extended form of two such as twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, and so on.
- Since here, you have to memorise all the multiples of 10, such as 20, 30, 40, 50, and so on.
- In a similar manner, after every multiple of 100, 1000, etc., the number is written in the same format.
Solved Examples on Numbers in Words
Let us know out how to write any given number in words with the help of an example.
Example 1: Write 33 in words.
Solution: In number 33, one’s place is occupied with 3, so there are 3 ones, and tens place is also occupied with 3, so there are 3 tens. So 3 tens and 3 ones are equal to 33. Or we can write, 33 as ‘thirty-three’ in words.
Example 2: Write, 19, 30, 15, 100, 4000, 19000, and 90,000 in words.
- 19 in words – Nineteen
- 30 in words – Thirty
- 15 in words – Fifteen
- 100 in words – Hundred
- 4000 in words – Four thousand
- 19000 in words – Nineteen thousand
- 90000 in words – Ninety thousand
Worksheets on Numbers in Words
- Write 114 in words
- Write 500 in words
- Write 786 in words
- Convert 193 to words
- Write the spelling of 876 in English
Learn from BYJU’S and download its app to get personalized and interesting fun videos.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
How to write the numbers in words?
1-one, 2-two, 3-three, 4-four, 5-five, 6-six, 7-seven, 8-eight, 9-nine, 10-ten.
How to write 1000000 in words?
What do you mean by the standard form of numbers?
9000000 = 9 x 106
How to write Rs. 7000 in words?
Write 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 and 100 in words?