Numbers in words are written usually with the help of the English alphabet. For example, 100,000 in words is written as One Lakh or One hundred thousand with spelling. Numbers to words can be written for all the natural numbers, based on the place value of digits, such as ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and so on.
|Spelling of 1 to 20|
|1 – One, 2 – Two, 3 – Three, 4 – Four, 5 – Five, 6 – Six, 7 – Seven, 8 – Eight, 9 – Nine, 10 – Ten|
|11 – Eleven, 12 – Twelve, 13 – Thirteen, 14 – Fourteen, 15 – Fifteen, 16 – Sixteen, 17 – Seventeen, 18 – Eighteen, 19 – Nineteen, 20 – Twenty|
Worldwide, English is the most common language used specifically for education. Therefore, we will learn here to convert numbers to words in the English language. Writing the numbers in words helps us to spell the numbers. Earlier, Roman numerals were used to represent the numbers by Romans such as 1-I, 2-II, 3-III, 4-IV, and so on.
Numbers are the basics of Mathematics. Every concept we learn in Maths have numbers included in them. They are used for various types of calculations. There are different types of numbers, which students can learn in the Number system. These numbers can be represented in the form of words, standard form, in place value and face value form.
How to Convert Numbers to words?
To write any number in the form of words, we have to check the place value. Let us learn this by observing the below steps.
- The place value of one’s, a number from 1 to 9 is written in words as, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine.
- The least number which is at tens place is 10, which is written in words as ten.
- The numbers from 11 to 19 are written in words as, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and nineteen. And the next number is twenty.
- After twenty, the numbers follow the pattern in such a way that they are written in words as thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety and so on.
- The preceding numbers are linked with these words and mentioned from one to nine. For example, twenty-one, twenty-two, etc.
Let us know out how to write any given number in words with the help of an example.
Example: Write 33 in words.
Solution: In number 33, one’s place is occupied with 3, so there are 3 ones, and tens place is also occupied with 3, so there are 3 tens. So 3 tens and 3 ones are equal to 33. Or we can write, 33 as ‘thirty-three’ in words.
Some other examples are:
- 19 in words – Nineteen
- 30 in words – Thirty
- 15 in words – Fifteen
- 100 in words – Hundred
- 4000 in words – Four thousand
- 19000 in words – Nineteen thousand
- 90000 in words – Ninety thousand
Number Names 1 to 100
The below table contains numbers from 1 to 100 in English words. The spelling of numbers from 1 to 100 are given here for students to make them learn.
In the same way, students can write the numbers from 101 to 1000 in words. A few sample questions are given below for practice. Try to write these numbers in words on your own.
Numbers Spelling (1 to 1000)
In the above section, we learned how to write numbers from 1 to 100, in words. Now, to write 1 to 1000 in words, we need to repeat the terms for every 100th number. For example, 101 can be written as one-hundred and one and 199 as One-hundred Ninety-nine, etc.
After 199, 200 comes which is spelled as two-hundred. Again from 201 to 299, the numbers after the hundredth term are repeated such as two-hundred one to two-hundred ninety-nine. In the same way, we can write the numbers till 999, i.e. nine-hundred ninety-nine.
After 999, 1000 is spelled as one-thousand or merely thousand. Below table is given for your reference, using this you can write the complete numbers till one thousand.
|1000||One-Thousand or Thousand|
- 455 – Four hundred fifty-five
- 345 – Three forty-five
- 111 – One hundred eleven
- 333 – Three hundred thirty-three
Large Numbers in words
- 3000 – Three thousand
- 5000 – Five thousand
- 10000 in words – Ten Thousand
- 15000 in words – Fifteen Thousand
- 18000: Eighteen thousand
- 20,000 – Twenty Thousand
- 25,000 – Twenty Five Thousand
- 30,000 – Thirty Thousand
- 35,000 – Thirty-Five Thousand
- 40, 000 – Forty Thousand
- 45,000 – Forty-Five Thousand
For larger numbers:
- 100,000 – One hundred thousand (One Lakh)
- 200, 000 – Two hundred thousand (Two Lakhs)
- 300, 000 – Three hundred thousand (Three Lakhs)
- 400, 000 – Four hundred thousand (Four Lakhs)
- 500, 000 – Five hundred thousand (Five Lakhs)
More Higher Numbers
|Number Form||Alphabetical Form||Other Names|
|10000||Ten thousand||Ten thousand|
|100,000||One Hundred Thousand||One Lakh|
|1,000,000||One Thousand Thousand||One Million|
|10,000,000||Ten Thousand Thousand||Ten Million|
Tips to Learn Number in Words
To learn numbers spelling or words, follow the below-given tips:
- Write the numbers from 1 to 10 on a sheet of paper and write their spellings
- Memorise all the spellings of 1 to 10, since the basics of all the number-names rely on these.
- After 10, 11 – eleven and 12 – twelve, sounds similar.
- Now, remember after 12 we have to write 13 to 19 adding -teen as suffixes, such as thirteen, fourteen and so on.
- After 19, 20 is written as an extended form of two such as twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, and so on.
- Since here, you have to memorise all the multiples of 10, such as: 20, 30, 40, 50, and so on.
- In a similar manner, after every multiple of 100, 1000, etc., the number is written in the same format.
- Write 114 in words
- Write 500 in words
- Write 786 in words
- Convert 193 to words
- Write the spelling of 876 in English
Learn from BYJU’S and download its app to get personalized and interesting fun videos.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
How to write the numbers in words?
1-one, 2-two, 3-three, 4-four, 5-five, 6-six, 7-seven, 8-eight, 9-nine, 10-ten.
How to write 1000000 in words?
What do you mean by standard form of numbers?
9000000 = 9 x 106
How to write Rs. 7000 in words?
Write 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 and 100 in words?