A pentagon is a geometrical shape, which has five sides and five angles. Here, Penta denotes five and gon denotes angle. The pentagon is one of the types of polygon. The sum of all the interior angles for a regular pentagon is 540 degrees.
Table of contents:
- Regular and Irregular Pentagon
- Convex and Concave Pentagon
In Geometry, we study about different types of shapes. The two-dimensional shape that is composed of straight lines and interior angles is known as a polygon. The examples of polygons are:
- Triangle ( three-sided polygon)
- Quadrilateral ( four-sided polygon)
- Pentagon ( five-sided polygon)
- Hexagon ( six-sided polygon)
- Heptagon ( seven-sided polygon)
- Octagon ( eight-sided polygon) and so on.
A pentagon is a polygon with 5 sides and 5 angles. The word “pentagon” is made up of two words, namely Penta and Gonia, which means five angles. All the sides of a pentagon meet with each other end to end to form a shape. Therefore,
Like other polygons such as triangle, quadrilaterals, square, rectangle, etc., the pentagon is also a polygon that contains five sides and five angles.
Depending on the sides, angles, and vertices, there are different types of pentagon shapes, such as
- Regular and Irregular pentagon
- Convex and Concave pentagon
Regular and Irregular Pentagon
If a pentagon is regular, then all the sides are equal in length, and five angles are of equal measures. If the pentagon does not have equal side length and angle measure, then it is known as an irregular pentagon.
Convex and Concave Pentagon
If all the vertices of a pentagon are pointing outwards, it is known as a convex pentagon. If a pentagon has at least one vertex pointing inside, then the pentagon is known as a concave pentagon.
Some properties of the pentagon are as follows:
- In the pentagon, the sum of the interior angles is equal to 540°.
- If all the sides are equal and all the angles are of equal measure, then it is a regular polygon. Otherwise, it is irregular.
- In the regular pentagon, the interior angle is 108°, and the exterior angle is of 72°.
- An equilateral pentagon has 5 equal sides.
- The sum of the interior angles of a rectangular pentagon is 540°.
Area of a Pentagon
For a regular pentagon with side and apothem length, then the formula to find the area of a pentagon is given as
Area of a Pentagon, A = (5/2) ×Side Length ×Apothem square units
If only the side length of a pentagon is given, then
Area = 5s2 / 4 tan 36° Square units
If only the radius of a pentagon is given, then
Perimeter of Pentagon
Since all the sides “a” of a regular pentagon are of equal measure, then the perimeter or circumference of a pentagon is written as,
Pentagon Solved problem
Question: Find the area and perimeter of a regular pentagon whose side is 5 cm and apothem length is 6 cm?
The side of a pentagon, a = 5 cm
Apothem Length = 6 cm
We know that
The area of a pentagon, A = (5/2) ×Side Length ×Apothem square units
Substitute side = 5 cm, Apothem = 7 cm in formula,
A = (5/2) × 5 × 6
A = 5 × 5 × 3
A = 75
Therefore, the area of a pentagon is 75 cm2
The perimeter of a pentagon, P = 5a units
P = 5(5)
P = 25 cm
Hence, the perimeter of a pentagon is 25 cm.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S – The Learning App to learn all the interesting Maths concepts and also explore videos to learn with ease.