In an attempt to classify plants, many scientists have taken into consideration various different characteristics. The artificial system of classification considered only a few morphological characters whereas, in a natural system of classification, plants are classified based on their morphological as well as anatomical features. In phylogenetic classification, even the evolutionary relationship was considered. Whittaker in his five-kingdom classification kept all the autotrophic, multicellular and eukaryotic organisms in the kingdom Plantae. Kingdom Plantae includes algae, bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms and angiosperms.
1. Which of the following plants is an example of a cryptogam with vascular tissues?
2. Which of the following plants does not have independent and free-living male and female gametophytes?
3. Algae are further classified into different classes based on which of the following characteristics?
(a) Types of pigments
(b) Composition of cell wall
(c) Thallus organization
(d) Food reserve
4. Which of the following differentiates conifers from grasses?
(a) Absence of pollen tubes
(b) Lack of xylem tracheids
(c) Seeds are produced from ovules
(d) endosperm formation without fertilization
5. Plant diversification is a result of
(a) seed dispersal
(b) suddenly appeared
(c) abrupt mutations
(d) a long period of evolutionary changes
6. Domination of angiosperms on land due to
(c) a large number of seeds
(d) adaptability in diverse habitats
7. A quality of angiosperms without any exception is
(a) autotrophic nutrition
(b) secondary growth
(c) double fertilization
(d) presence of vessels
8. Which of the following is a characteristic of bryophytes?
(a) They possess chloroplasts
(b) They have archegonia
(c) The plant body is thalloid
(d) All of the above
9. Which of the following characteristics differentiates bryophytes from algae?
(a) They lack vascular tissue
(b) The plant body is thalloid
(c) They have chloroplasts
(d) They possess archegonia
10. Which of the following differentiates pteridophytes from bryophytes and thallophytes?
(a) Alternation of generation
(c) Motile antherozoids
(d) Vascular tissues
These were some MCQs on Classification of Plants. Learn MCQs on related topics for NEET, at BYJU’S.