Kranz anatomy refers to the special structure of leaves present in the plants, which undergo carbon fixation by the C4 pathway. There are two different types of photosynthetic cells, which are ring-shaped, found surrounding the vascular tissues and are present within the leaves. Bundle sheath cells have large chloroplasts and surround vascular tissues. Mesophyll cells surround bundle sheath cells and have a few small chloroplasts. Calvin cycle occurs in the bundle sheath cells.
1. Who discovered the C4 pathway?
(a) Melvin Kelvin
(b) Hatch and Slack
(c) Rudolph Markus
(d) Robert Brown
2. Which of the following is a C4 plant?
3. C4 pathway takes place in
(b) Bundle sheath cells
(d) Mesophyll cells
4. Which of the following pathways of carbon fixation has phosphoenol pyruvate as a primary CO2 acceptor?
(a) C3 plant
(b) C4 plants
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) C2 plants
5. Which of the following is true about bundle sheath cells present in the leaves having Kranz anatomy?
(a) they have thin walls with many intercellular spaces and chloroplasts are absent
(b) they have thin walls with no intercellular spaces and many chloroplasts
(c) they have thick walls with many intercellular spaces and few chloroplasts
(d) they have thick walls with no intercellular spaces and many chloroplasts
6. C4 pathway is a more efficient photosynthetic pathway than C3, because of
(a) lower photorespiration rate
(b) cells contain more chloroplasts in leaves
(c) larger leaf area
(d) spore formation
7. In leaves with Kranz anatomy, formation of malic acid during CO2 fixation occurs in
(d) bundle sheath
8. In C4 plants, Calvin cycle occurs in
(a) chloroplasts present in the grana of bundle sheath
(b) chloroplasts present in the grana of mesophyll
(c) chloroplasts present in the stroma of mesophyll
(d) chloroplasts present in the stroma of bundle sheath
9. The difference between C3 and C4 pathway is
(b) Calvin cycle
10. The final product of C4 pathway is
|1. (b)||2. (d)||3. (d)||4. (b)||5. (d)|
|6. (a)||7. (c)||8. (d)||9. (a)||10. (a)|
Stay tuned with BYJU’S NEET for more MCQs and other NEET related study materials.