One of the most common disorders of the thyroid gland is the Multinodular goitre(MNG). It is a special condition of the thyroid glands where multiple nodules or lumps form. Goitre is the enlargement of the thyroid gland. Nodules are formed when there is a difference in the growth rate in various parts of the thyroid gland. Explore important MCQs here.
1. Which of the following disease is caused due to the deficiency of iodine?
(a) Solitary thyroid nodules
(d) Thyroid cancer
2. Which of the following is the main cause for Goitre?
(c) Cancer of the thyroid gland
(d) All of the above
3. When the progressive enlargement of a multinodular goitre causes symptomatic tracheal compression, the typically preferred treatment management in otherwise good-risk patients is ____.
(a) Radioactive iodine treatment
(b) Thyroid hormone treatment
(c) Iodine treatment
(d) Surgical resection of abnormal thyroid
4. Which of the following is the most precise diagnostic screening procedure for differentiating benign thyroid nodules from malignant ones?
(a) Thyroid scintiscan
(b) Thyroid ultrasonography
(c) Thyroid hormone suppression
(d) Fine-needle-aspiration biopsy (FNAB)
5. Which of the following is the most common cause of goitrous hypothyroidism in adults?
(a) Hashimoto’s disease
(b) Grave’s disease
(c) Riedel’s thyroiditis
(d) De Quervain’s thyroiditis
6. A person with the enlarged thyroid gland protruded eyeball, increased BMR and weight loss is suffering from _______.
(a) Grave’s disease
(b) Exophthalmic goitre
(c) Both (a) and (b)
(d) Addison disease
7. Which of the following statement is incorrect about thyroid hormones?
(a) Regulates BMR
(b) Maintains water and electrolyte balance
(c) Supports erythropoiesis
(d) Controls blood phosphate level
8. Which of the following statement is true about thyroid swelling?
(a) Always elevates on swelling
(b) An ultrasound of the swelling is the best test to determine whether the nodule is
actively secreting hormone
(c) Lymph node enlargement is a good prognostic sign
(d) A functional nodule on isotope scanning is unlikely to be due to cancer
9. Which of the following statement is true about Grave’s disease of the thyroid?
(a) It is the cause for ophthalmoplegia
(b) It is the cause for large multi-nodular goitre
(c) In the past, grave’s disease sometimes caused ‘Derbyshire Neck’
(d) It is most common in males than in females
10. Which of the following statement is true about complications of a large goitre?
(a) Dysphagia is an indication for surgery
(b) Causes stridor due to compression of the oesophagus
(c) Causes hoarseness due to compression of the trachea
(d) Causes more florid thyrotoxicosis than a smaller goitre
Stay tuned with BYJU’S NEET for more MCQs and other NEET related study materials.