|Greek/ Latin Root: Aqui/ Aqua
Examples of Root Words Starting with “Aqua-”
- AquacultureAquaculture is the cultivation of freshwater organisms under controlled conditions. Usually, fish such as salmon and shellfish such as oysters are cultivated for consumption or other economic purposes.
- Aqueous SolutionAn aqueous solution is a type of solution where the solvent is water. On the other hand, a non-aqueous solution is a solution of a solute in a solvent other than water. For example, a solution of table salt in water constitutes an aqueous solution.
- Aqueous Humour (humour = fluid in an animal’s body) Aqueous Humour is a watery, transparent fluid that fills the anterior and posterior chambers of the eye. Please note, the term “humour” is archaic; it was used to describe one of the four cardinal humours – blood, black bile, yellow bile and the phlegm.
- Aquaporins Also called water channels, aquaporins are membrane channels that enable the flow of small neutral molecules and water across the biological membranes of living organisms.
- AquaponicsAquaponics is a form of agriculture which combines aquaculture and hydroponics. The nutrient rich-water where fish are raised acts as a natural source of fertilizer while the plants purify the water for the fish.
Explore other root words by registering at BYJU’S.