Blood is the unique fluid connective tissue present in our body and plays a significant role in transporting a wide variety of substances to different parts of the body. The main components of blood include Red blood cells, White blood cells, blood platelets and the plasma. Blood is the main component of the human circulatory system. The main functions of blood include:
- Regulates body temperature.
- Regulates the water content of the cells.
- Protects against excess loss of blood through clotting.
- Regulates the pH by interacting with acids and bases.
- Involved in the transportation of hormones, nutrition, enzymes, respiratory gases, and other molecules to the respective parts of the body.
Lymph is a clear white colours fluids tissue which is composed of lymphocytes, white blood cells. Lymph is the part of the lymphatic system and is generally found in the lymphatic vessels and in the various cavities of the body. It plays a vital role by transporting the white blood cells within the lymph nodes and bones, in the removal of interstitial fluid from tissues and also fights against the disease-causing and infectious bacteria invading the blood cells. The main functions of lymph include:
- Supplies nutrients to the body.
- Removes metabolic wastes from the tissue cells.
- Maintains the composition of tissue fluid.
- It helps in invading the entry of pathogenic infections caused by microbes.
- Absorbs fat-soluble vitamins and other digested fats molecules from the small intestine through lymphatic vessels.
Also Read: Difference between Plasma and Serum
Differences between the Blood and the Lymph
|It is a colourless fluid.||It is a reddish coloured fluid.|
|Process occurs in|
|It is part of the lymphatic system||It is part of the circulatory system|
|It helps in body defence and is a part of the immune system.||It is involved in the circulation of, nutrients, hormones, oxygen and carbon dioxide, wastes and other toxins.|
|It contains plasma and a lesser number of WBCs and platelets.||It contains plasma, RBCs, WBCs, and platelets.|
|Carries less amount of oxygen and digested food.||Carries more amount of oxygen and digested food.|
|Proteins and minerals|
|Lymph plasma lacks proteins.||Blood plasma consists of proteins, calcium, and phosphorus.|
|Supply of Nutrients|
|Nutrients are supplied from the cells, tissue to the blood, through lymphatic vessels.||Nutrients are supplied to different organs.|
|Very slow compare to blood.||Blood flows fast in the blood vessels.|
|Formation of Clots|
|Clots slowly due to the presence of less fibrinogen.||Clots quickly due to the presence of more amount of fibrinogen.|
|The movement of lymph is in a single direction.||The movement of Blood is in a circular motion.|
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about the blood, lymph and other parts of the human circulatory system.