Blood is the only fluid connective tissue present in our body and plays a significant role in transporting a wide variety of substances to different parts of the body. The main components of blood include RBC – red blood cells, White blood cells, blood platelets and the plasma. Blood is the main component of the human circulatory system. The main functions of blood include:
- Regulates the body temperature.
- Regulates the water content of the cells.
- Protects against excess loss of blood through clotting.
- Regulates the pH by interacting with acids and bases.
- Involved in the transportation of gases, enzymes, nutrition, hormones and other molecules to the respective parts of the body.
Lymph is a clear white colors fluids tissue which is composed of lymphocytes, a white blood cells. Lymph is generally found in the lymphatic vessels and in the various cavities of the body. It is the part of the lymphatic system, which functions by transporting the white blood cells between the lymph nodes and bones, removal of interstitial fluid from tissues and fights against the disease-causing and infectious bacteria invading the blood cells. The main functions of lymph include:
- Supplies nutrients to the body.
- Removes metabolic wastes from the tissue cells.
- Maintains the composition of tissue fluid.
- It helps in invading the entry of pathogenic infections caused by microbes.
- Absorbs fat-soluble vitamins and other digested fats molecules from the small intestine through lymphatic vessels.
Here are clear differences between the Blood and the Lymph.
|It is a colorless fluid.||It is a reddish colored fluid.|
|It is part of the lymphatic system||It is part of the circulatory system|
|It helps in body defense and is a part of the immune system.||It is associated with the circulation of oxygen and carbon dioxide, nutrients hormones, waste products etc.|
|It contains plasma and a lesser number of WBCs and platelets.||It contains plasma, RBCs, WBCs, and platelets.|
|Carries less amount oxygen and digested food.||Carries more amount oxygen and digested food.|
|Lymph plasma lacks proteins.||Blood plasma consists of proteins, calcium, and phosphorus.|
|Transports nutrients from the tissue cells to the blood, through lymphatic vessels.||Transports nutrients and oxygen from one organ to another.|
|The flow of lymph is slow.||The flow of blood in the blood vessels is fast.|
|Clots slowly due to the presence of less fibrinogen.||Clots quickly due to the presence of more amount of fibrinogen.|
|The movement of lymph is in a single direction.||The movement of Blood is in a circular motion.|
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about the blood, lymph and other parts of the human circulatory system.
Practise This Question