The National Talent Search Examination is one of the most prestigious scholarship examinations in India. The aim of the examination is to identify talented students across the country and award them with a scholarship program so that they can pursue their further studies. The examination is conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
The students are identified through a two-tier examination process i.e. Stage I and Stage II. Only students clearing the stage 1 exam are allowed to sit for the stage 2 examination. So, students must prepare hard for the exam and should be totally familiar with the NTSE Syllabus to score good marks in the exam.
- Stage I: It is conducted by different states and union territories in India. It is a state level examination.
- Stage II: It is conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). It is a national level examination.
NTSE Exam Pattern
The questions in the exam are multiple-choice questions. The exam pattern for NTSE is the same for both stage 1 and stage 2. The exam consists of three tests:
Mental Ability Test (MAT)
Test a student’s ability to problem-solving and reasoning skills. The questions are designed to assess students’ mental abilities across a variety of areas. This section offers questions that require logical and analytical reasoning. This portion assesses the candidate’s reasoning, thinking, evaluating, discriminating, and visualising abilities.
Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
There are 150 questions in this section, which cover Science, Mathematics, Social Science, and English Language. This component assesses the student’s ability to read, interpret, evaluate, and general knowledge of the subjects. To improve their preparations, candidates must have a thorough understanding of the NTSE Syllabus.
The detailed NTSE Exam Pattern is given in the table mentioned below.
|Test||Time Duration||Total no. of Questions||Marks Allotted|
|Mental Ability Test (MAT)||120||100||100|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||120||100||100|
- 1 mark is awarded for every correct answer for both stage 1 and 2.
- There will be no negative marking.
NTSE Exam Syllabus
The NTSE exam syllabus is one of the most important components to prepare for the exam. The NTSE Syllabus (NTSE stage 1 syllabus and stage 2 syllabus) is provided here so that students can prepare for the exam in a better way. The NTSE Exam is conducted for students studying in Class 10. Only 10th standard students (below 18 years of age) are eligible to appear for the examination.
The NTSE syllabus for the subjects Mathematics, English, General Knowledge, Mental Ability, Science and Social Science is given in the table mentioned below.
Social Science Syllabus
Mental Ability Syllabus
General Knowledge Syllabus
Tips for NTSE 2021-22 Exam Preparation
- Before starting preparation, make a study schedule and allot time to each section in order to cover the complete NTSE syllabus for 2021
- Find the weak areas and start concentrating on those areas of the NTSE MAT and NTSE SAT syllabuses.
- Make brief notes; these handwritten notes will assist you in learning and revising the entire course quickly.
- Try to solve previous year papers and determine the relevant themes after covering all topics in the stage 2 NTSE 2021-22 syllabus.
- Examine your errors and learn from them; learn time management by completing NTSE previous year question papers within the allotted time.
Students must understand the NTSE syllabus properly before applying for the exam. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to get the latest news and notifications on the NTSE exam, along with sample papers, marking schemes and other exam related details.