The National Talent Search Examination is one of the most prestigious scholarship examinations in India. The aim of the examination is to identify talented students across the country and award them with a scholarship program so that they can pursue their further studies. The examination is conducted by National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
The students are identified through a two-tier examination process i.e. Stage I and Stage II. Students clearing the stage 1 exam are only allowed to sit for the stage 2 examination. So, students must prepare hard for the exam and should be totally familiar with the NTSE Syllabus to score good marks on the exam.
- Stage I: It is conducted by different states and union territories in India. It is a state level examination.
- Stage II: It is conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). It is a national level examination.
NTSE Exam Pattern
The questions in the exam are multiple choice questions. The exam pattern for NTSE is the same for both stage 1 and stage 2. The exam consists of three tests:
- Mental Ability Test (MAT) – Test a student’s ability to problem-solving and reasoning skills.
- Language Test (LT) – Contain questions from Paragraph completion, Fill in the blanks, English Comprehensions, Synonyms & Antonyms, etc.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) – Contain questions from sections like Maths, Science, Geography, History, Political Science & Economics.
The detailed NTSE Exam Pattern is given in the table mentioned below.
|Test||Time Duration||Total no. of Questions||Marks Allotted|
|Mental Ability Test (MAT)||45||50||50|
|Language Test (LT)||45||50||50|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||90||100||100|
- 1 mark is awarded for every correct answer for both stage 1 and 2.
- No negative mark is deducted for a wrong answer in stage 1.
- 1/3rd mark is deducted for every wrong answer in stage 2.
NTSE Exam Syllabus
The NTSE exam syllabus is one of the most important components to prepare for the exam. The NTSE Syllabus (NTSE stage 1 syllabus and stage 2 syllabus) is provided here so that students can prepare for the exam in a better way. The NTSE Exam is conducted for students studying in Class 10. Only 10th standard students (below 18 years of age) are eligible to appear for the examination.
The NTSE syllabus for the subjects Mathematics, English, General Knowledge, Mental Ability, Science and Social Science is given in the table mentioned below.
Social Science Syllabus
Mental Ability Syllabus
General Knowledge Syllabus
Students must understand the NTSE syllabus properly before applying for the exam. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to get the latest news and notification on NTSE exam along with sample papers, marking scheme, and other exam related details.