The SBI exams are conducted by the State Bank of India (SBI) every year. Before we learn more about the different competitive exams such as SBI PO and SBI Clerk, let us explore a few details about State Bank of India.
The State Bank of India (SBI) was established on 2nd June 1806 as the Bank of Calcutta. It is considered as one of the largest banks by asset size. It has the highest number of domestic branches spread across the length and breadth of India and has a strong international presence too. It is regarded as the prime banker to Digital India and a market leader in providing internet banking services to almost 2.5 crores(approx.) users. SBI has also championed in providing loans to farmers and is contributing its bit towards the Green Revolution. It has sparked an academic revolution by providing scholar loans too in the rural sector of the country.
SBI Bank Exams
Being the largest public sector bank in India, State Bank of India recruits new resources through the following SBI exams every year:
1. SBI Bank PO Exam: It is also known as the SBI Probationary Officers Exam. This exam particularly selects candidates for the management cadre of the bank. The selected candidates are deputed to the role of Probationary Officers during the training phase and are moved on to management roles on completion of their training. The SBI PO exam is categorized into three stages:
- SBI PO Preliminary Exam: The SBI PO Prelims usually skims the candidates from a huge lot for the next stage of the exam. It retains about 2.8% of the total number of applicants for the SBI Main examination.
- SBI PO Main Exam: In the SBI PO Mains section, the performance of the candidates is assessed in such a way which helps in determining whether they are eligible to make it to the next stage of the exam. The SBI PO exam paper comprises of two sections:
- Objective test: In this section, the focus is mainly on core knowledge areas which are required in the modern workplace. The SBI PO exam syllabus consists of Data Analysis & Interpretation, General Knowledge, Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, Economy, Banking Awareness and English.
- Descriptive test: This test primarily measures the candidates’ ability to use written English language skills in a business setting.
- SBI PO Group Discussion and SBI PO Interview: Candidates who clear the SBI PO Mains exam are put through group discussion and interview, which is the final stage of selection before a merit list of final selected candidates is listed.
2. SBI Clerk Exam: The SBI Clerk Exam mainly recruits new employees in the position of Junior Associates for the clerical cadre of the bank. There are two different stages in this SBI exam:
- SBI Clerk Preliminary Exam: This exam is also called as SBI Clerk Prelims. This exam is the initial stage of the clerical cadre of the banking giant which filters out candidates for the next level.
- SBI Clerk Main Exam: This SBI exam is commonly referred to as the SBI Clerk Mains. In this stage, the marks that candidates secure usually determines the selection status of candidates as clerks in the State Bank. There is no interview in this stage and the SBI exam results are announced in a couple of months from the main exam and the final selected candidates are deputed on merit-basis.
3. SBI SO Exam: This SBI exam aims to recruit Specialist Officers(SO) for the bank. SBI Specialist Officer aspirants have to mandatorily fulfil the minimum SBI SO eligibility requirements to appear in the SBI Selection Process set by State Bank of India. The selection process of this exam primarily consists of an interview which emphasizes on the work experience and specialization of the candidates.
The SBI bank exam syllabus is pretty similar to other bank exams. Irrespective of test type – SBI PO, Clerk or SO, candidates are assessed on the basis of the following sections:
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Reasoning Ability
- English Language
- General Awareness
- Computer Knowledge
- Professional Banking Knowledge
There is a wide range of topics which are covered under each section type. It is advisable for students to consult prior years SBI exam papers, refer sample papers and take mock tests to get a good understanding of the weightage of each section. Besides, having some basic know-how of the exam pattern would be of great help before candidates sit for the main SBI exam. Candidates should fill the SBI exam form once they are fully aware of the exam pattern, syllabus, exam dates, eligibility criteria before they decide to take up any of the SBI online exams.
SBI Exam Dates
State Bank of India (SBI) has released the important dates of different SBI bank exams like PO, Clerk and SO 2019 already along with its official notifications. Candidates need to constantly keep an eye on the official SBI website(www.sbi.co.in) to stay updated about any important updates with respect to the different exams.
Given below is the tentative SBI Exam Calendar 2019:
|SBI Bank Exam Dates|
|Event Name||Tentative Dates|
|SBI PO 2019 Online Registration||2nd – 22nd April 2019|
|SBI Pre Exam Date(Preliminary)||8th, 9th, 15th & 16th June 2019|
|SBI Mains Exam Date||20th July 2019|
|SBI PO 2019 Group Exercises & Interview||September 2019|
|SBI Clerk 2019 Online Registration||April 12, 2019|
|SBI Clerk Exam Date(Preliminary Exam)||June 2019|
|SBI Clerk Mains Exam Date||August 10, 2019|
|SBI SO 2019 Online Registration||January 5, 2019|
|SBI SO 2019 Exam Date||February 25, 2019|
In India, working in SBI is considered as an attractive employment opportunity. Hence, candidates who wish to benefit from this opportunity need to prepare themselves in such a way so that they can beat the competition and be one among the millions to make it to the final list of selected candidates.
Need some guidance to kick-start your SBI exam preparation? BYJU’S has designed well-structured courses and study materials which empowers candidates to kick-start their SBI bank exams preparation with ease and embark on a highly enriching and fulfilling banking career.
Top SBI Exams Articles 2019:
|SBI Vacancy 2019||SBI PO Admit Card 2019||SBI PO Exam Pattern 2019|
|SBI Recruitment 2019||SBI Clerk Prelims 2019||SBI Exams Notification 2019|
|SBI Exam Dates 2019||Bank Exams 2019||Bank Exams Preparation|